• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on this rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for the memory, get at least pc3200 corsair or ocz....and as for the motherboad, i think its the MSI K8N Neo Platinum thats supposed to be legendary for overclocking...thats also kind of a noisy fan

That is not a newcastle. its a C0 stepping clawhammer with half the cache disabled. If I were you I would avoid that processor.
You're looking for a chip which OPN string ends with AR (CG ClawHammer) or AX (CG NewCastle)
The chip you linked to ends with AP, which means its a C0 ClawHammer, which is by far infirior OCer

Captain Turd said:
Are there any chips I could look for in value RAM at the nearby Best Buy?
Micron mT. Looks like this:
chip_5.jpg

MorGoth said:
thats also kind of a noisy fan
The ePox is rather pricey, and the MSI K8N Neo is a more proven overclocker. I would opt for that.

A noisy fan is necessary for the SLK948U, besides, 40 dBA isn't that loud.

The Coolest said:
That is not a newcastle. its a C0 stepping clawhammer with half the cache disabled. If I were you I would avoid that processor.
You're looking for a chip which OPN string ends with AR (CG ClawHammer) or AX (CG NewCastle)
The chip you linked to ends with AP, which means its a C0 ClawHammer, which is by far infirior OCer
Definitely agree. If possible go for the 3000+, or better yet, a 2800+ mobile, which should be a 1024k CG Clawhammer.

Captain Turd said:
Processor: Mobile A64 2800+ Clawhammer
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Platinum(on sale)
Cooling: Thermalright SLK-948U and 92mm/66CFM/40db Fan
Video Card: Hercules 9800 Pro 128mb

Good? Also, what do you guys think of the graphics card?

Both the CPU and motherboard are what I would get as of today for a price-performance system.
Make sure when you get the CPU, check the model code to make sure it ends with AR which is the CG revision. Otherwise, it was not sent according to advertised.

Just FYI, this 2800+ CG ClawHammer has max multiplier of x8, at max of 300 HTT from the board, you can get up to 2.4 GHz which is within 100-200 MHz of this type of CPU on air. Future bios (?) may let the board to run at 325 MHz to get the CPU up to 2.6 GHz. If you worry about getting that 100-200 MHz out of the CPU for competition, a 3000+ CG ClawHammer with x9 multiplier would be needed but that would cost $50 more (may not justify the cost).

I would use a 80mm adjustable speed Thermaltake Smart Fan II instead.

For 9800 pro, have you look at one from Sapphire which is popular.

940, 754, 939 CPU models and specifications
Typical Overclocking System
Overclocking setting for various bus frequencies

Back