• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 2 differences between UK/US/JAP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghuraba

Hi there.

Sorry if this might be in the wrong forum but here goes.

I was wondering if the US/UK/JAP Playstation 2 consoles are identical in the way they display the game and the speed they run at?

The reason I ask is because my experience of consoles is with the old Snes/Megadrive. There was a difference between the US/JAP versions and the UK versions. Basically if I had a UK version and played it in the UK then some games would not be full screen, Street Fighter 2 was a good example. About 1/3 of the screen was a big black border and ran a lot slower than the US/JAP counterpart. While the same game running on a US/JAP console on a 60hz TV was a lot faster and the borders were very small. Games running on a US/JAP console ran about 17% faster than a UK console too.

So is this the same with the US/JAP/UK Playstation 2? If I buy a UK Playstation 2 and run it on a TV with a scart socket at 60hz will it be identical to the US/JAP Playstation 2 games or once again are the people of Europe getting ripped off with slow games and big chunky borders?

Michael

Don't forget region and language settings. The differences between the consoles are for compatability for where the console is marketed and prevention of playing imported games.

Back