• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a Athlon 1.2Gh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tovalb

I just bought me a Athlon 1.2Gh. I use to own a Pentium. I wondering how to overclock this chip. Shall i change the multiplier or the fbs. What about the V-core.

My spec:
msi A7k266 pro mb
1.2 Gh Athlon(266)
256 DDRram (266)
hercules propet2mx vc
300 W

I will be grateful if some of you overclockers with more experience will help me.

Thanks

Try both (multiplier and FSB). The 1200 is factory unlocked. If the system gets unstable, try to raise the VCore voltage a bit. Good luck!!

Are you serious?!?!
i've just bought mine and i was trying to figure it out how to unlock it?
thanks for that.

Yes, I don't think I've seen or heard of a 1.2 gig T-Bird that is'nt unlocked so far. So I'd assume they all come unlocked.

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

As far as overclocking the 1.2G CPU, You will find that for the most part, you will have to follow the generally accepted overclocking practices, same as you would with an Intel proccessor. If you are unsure of any particularities check the "BeginersGuide" on the front page of this site. There you will find articles dealing with standard issues as well as things that appply to AMD only, such as unlocking the L1 bridges.

One thing that certainly applies to the AMD CPU's, make sure that you have a very good hsf, these proccessors run hot compared to the Intel's.

You may want to check that proccessor, although all that I've seen have been unlocked, I have read of a few that had the bridges cut.

Good Luck!

You will see performance gains from both a faster bus and cpu clock. You have to play around to find the fastest each one can run for your particular system. Coming from Intel land all you could do was raise the bus since the multiplier has been locked for quite a while. Now you have more flexibility, but it will take more effort to find the best combinatio.

Back