• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twan2128

Registered
I see everyone on here talking about panaflos or tornados but I was wondering what peoples opinion was on the thermaltake smart fan II fan. I plan on getting the SP97 and using arctic silver 5 as well as modding my case by removing the fan grills but i was wondering what fan i should use on my hs as well as what i should use to replace the 7 case fans (i have an xaser III case). any and all help is appreciated (especially with links :D ) I was also wondering if using the thermaltake ducting mod on my sp97 hs would help with temps (but that would limit the fan to being 80mm)

The smartfans cool great but they're also extremely loud. Make sure you get the orange version (II) or the version with blue leds, as those come with manual control knobs that you can use to turn the speed down (thus lowering noise) when you aren't doing CPU intensive tasks. Good CPU fan but I wouldn't use them for case fans personally, unless you have them all hooked up to a controller or you don't care if your computer sounds like a jet engine...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS There is a thread dedicated to modding the Xaser case and all cases for better cooling..HERE .. Here's another link to some pics of my case and what changes I've made to obtain better temps..HERE

Recommended fan for the SP-97 HS..CLICK HERE

Case fan recommendation..CLICK HERE

* You already have a fan controller..:)

I have one of those TT Smart Fans in my closet. Too loud for my liking. Estimate about 45db at 3 feet. Does not cool any better than my Evercool Aluminum 80mm both at full speed. Just a LOT quieter

I was also wondering if using the thermaltake ducting mod on my sp97 hs would help with temps (but that would limit the fan to being 80mm archilochus)

Don't worry about the ducting size..There are plenty of objects out there that will work as a duct..You don't have to buy a kit..You may not even need a duct...:) If you used a duct, where would you be running it from..The side panel?
Specifications: 80x80x38 mm, 45 CFM @ 3400 RPM, 39.0 dBA, 2.4w .2 amp, 12v DC, 3-pin connector standard with optional 3+4 pin power connectors.

CLICK HERE :thup:

The thermaltake ducting mod goes directly on top of the hs and then you attach your fan to the ducting mod.

ya the delta fan that FAN MAN's link goes to is good but its sooooooo loud

i mean it sounds like a fan on the roof that u use in the summer

the panflow is good but the vanteck stealth fans hase les DBA's so the noise is less

they only push 27cmf @21dba

but i use it on my sp94 and it works really good

syberspy@school, He's running an AMD not an Intel...The Sp-97 cools better with a high pressure fan..
Those TT duct mod thingys don't help much with CPU temps, but you can try it if you like.:)
I just received my new Delta 92mm HHE series fan for my SP-94 HS..I'll install and test with and without my 25mm spacer..The results will be posted in the Xaser thread..:D
Currently I'm using the Panaflo 92mm U1A on a rheostat, to cool my SP-94 HS..:burn:

I use nothing but tornados and SFII 's all flavors 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm I love them yeah they are loud but not as loud as a tornado. I don't care much for noise just performance. But you can easily adjust the speed on them for noise issues and their performance puts them easily in the top 4 available fans out there IMO

Back