• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie wearing flame retardant suit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardegg

? about onlocking cpu

Hi.
First post to this forum, I am just starting to fool around with learning how to overclock.
Heres what I'm working with

Abit KG7 Mobo
T-Bird 1333 ayhja
256 megs mushkin cas 2 PC2100 ddr ram
Glacier cooling fan
ATI 64 DDR video Radeon
Hercules Game Theater sound
neatgear fa311 nic
431 watt enermax psu
and just for looks a sony trinitron 19" monitor

My question is....I understand about unlocking the multiplier on the CPU, (although I havent done it yet).
Seems like most of the performance comes from the FSB.
Why do I need to unlock it why can't I just turn up the FSB

Ok I can only turn up FSB to 139 as soon as I try 140 or above it won't boot from the hardrive.I have fooled the ram timings as far as slowing them down and tried nudginging the power up. But no go.

Do I need to turn down the multiplier to get it to go higher or what?

BTW my temp at 139 idles around 40

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums we don't flame here so no need for a special suit:D

The first thing that I do when overclocking a new chip is oc it using the multiplier this way I can find out the max of the chip with out other perfials coming into play. Once I get a good idea of what the chip will do I go back and start to overclock via the fsb now if my fsb stops before the max of the cpu. I take out everything but the basics. I take out all pci cards and only leave in one stick of memory. Then oc it and see if I can max it out if I can I'll start adding things until I figure out what is holding me back. If not I will back down the memory timings and try agian. If I can't get close to the cpu's max ocing the fsb for some reason I will just use a multiplier overclock. I would however run at a 150 fsb and lose a few MHz then run at a lower fsb and a higher MHz

You can lower the multiplier to get a higher fsb. In order to run at a fsb such as 155 and up you will most likely have to lower your multiplier.

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

As Hugo 59 said, no flames here.

I would recommend a bit of time spent in the "Beginers Guide", located on the first page of this site for a load of useful information on the subject of overclocking. There you will find an article dealing with how to unlock the L1 bridges, a really simple proccess actually.

The cutting of the various bridges is AMD's method of setting the factory defaults for the, multiplier, FSB and Vcore. By manipulating the circuits through which the current travels within the CPU. Different paths yield different results. It has been well reported which bridges do what and what you need to do to achieve the settings you desire.

Most motherboards can alter the settings for FSB and Vcore on the motherboard itself but there is no such work around for the multiplier, hence the task of closing the bridges is left to you.

Good Luck!

Thanks Hugo

Hugo The advice worked great I went ahead and unlocked it (via some window defogger repair kit) worked fine took mutiplier up to 11.5 before any problems the fsb would lock up at 140
pulled all cards out and could reach 149 x 10 before anny probs
put cards back in and nic card wouldnt let me go over 139 fsb
Thanks again

Hardegg said:
Thanks, I have had alot of good suggestions so far and no Flames ! :)

Welcome. Around here if you even smell smoke, call the "firemen" We have really good "firemen", but they are a little out of practice since we never have flames.

Back