• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! nOOb XP Question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ha_hA_HA!

Okay, sorry, i'm sure this is a stupid question, but I just bought a pc after using only Mac's for a long time, so I'm a Windows nOOb.

Every time I boot, I get 2 warning messages that go something like this:

RUNDLL

Error loading C:\Windows\sdklk32.dll

The specified module could not be found.

So, how do I get rid of this message? It all started after I removed some adware that had taken over IE.

Thanks in advance! :)

windows repair would probably be the easiest way to fix that. Just boot from your XP cd, when it gets all done with everything it does select repair, and then quick repair. (i might be missing a step there, or have something not quite right, i havent done this in a while, but you should be able to figure it out, its pretty simple. Basically it will scan for missing or dammaged files and replace as needed.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys.

Now, how do I startup from the install cd? :confused: :)

I can't find the info anywhere in Windows help. I also set my bios to check for CD before HD, but no go.

Sorry for the nOOb questions! :rolleyes:

Thats sounds like the remains of the adware, run msconfig and see if that file is listed in in the startup section, if it is make sure to uncheck it.

The adware sets itself to load when you start the computer, so when you deleted the adware file, it still left the command to try and load it. Since its not there, you get that error.

ian is right, look in MSconfig ( click start then run and type msconfig ) and look for any odd items that are loaded at startup.

Its also a good way to lower the your startup time, many things you might not use will load on startup, and with msconfig you can stop them.

Ok, well, the msconfig solution got rid of one of the messages. Still have one more to go....any ideas?
(Same message was coming up twice, now only once)

Thanks for your help.

hmm... theres not another one in msconfig(they like to multiply)? if not, check the registry.

start>run> regedit

this will bring up the registry editor, back up the registry before editing anything(file>export). after its open, browse to the windows run key

In registry editor:
My Computer>Hkey_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run

check the strings in there for the file name given in the error, if its there, back it up(file> export), then delete it. reboot and see if you still get the error message.

you may want to check the runonce key also:
editor:
My Computer>Hkey_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Runonce

these are a good place to check for suspicious things on startup, virii like to load into there.

hmm, i now realize after typing those, you can just search the registry for the file name, DOH!

hmm, wondering if you just unchecked the entry with the same name as the file, or if you unchecked all entries with the file name in the target path?

if not, then i would go through mosconfig again, and double check that any entries with the file in the target path are unchecked.

If you've already done this, then i dunno what else to try, sorry :(

Back