• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a little greedy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JezterVA

OK, so I thought I'd see if I could get a little more out of my system and began experimenting. I was currently maxed out with a FSB increase of 210Mhz. I thought I'd switch the loc. of my RAM and try again. Well after the swap, I was able to get up to 225Mhz and kept on marching to 230Mhz (with my boards max of 233 in sight). It wouldn't finish POST at 230 so I went back in and lowered my RAM timings from 1:1 down to 6:5 for 192Mhz on the RAM bus. Now, I can't POST at all. :bang head I've reset my CMOS countless times and even tried using my memory sticks one at a time to see if maybe I blew one of them up. I don't have a spare processor, but that is my next logical point in the troubleshooting chain I guess. Does anybody else have any suggestions before I shell out the funds on a new processor??

What are your voltages? I don't quite understand how cpu's can be that easily broken. I would suggest you to check to see if you haven't corrupted the bios, try taking out the battery out and put it back in. (the circle battery thing by the clear bios jumper) I'm not too informed about bios corruption as it has not happaned to me but I believe it could be one of the possibility.

My Proc is at 1.8V and my Memory is a 1.7V. I've taken the battery out and will let it sit while while I go to dinner for a while. I'll l et you know how it turns out later.

Look in your manual for the 100fsb jumper, I have that board and it can be a major pain to get started when it decides not to post... Don't worry though, once you play with the jumper you'll be fine.

If you can see your voltages then you can get in bios. If that is so then you probably curupted your hard drive,if so just reload windows.

jess1313 said:
If you can see your voltages then you can get in bios. If that is so then you probably curupted your hard drive,if so just reload windows.

I'm guessing (guessing mind you, just from what I've read) that those were the voltages he was using just before this happened. If he can't POST/boot, he won't see anything but a black screen.

Here's a dumb question...you don't have another CPU to test the motherboard with....do you have another motherboard to test this CPU with?

This is exactly why I picked up a pair of Durons a long while back (a D600 and D1100). Testing mobos out. A Spitfire and Morgan. One of 'em ought to boot in virtually any (if not every) Socket A board ever made.

Dirt cheap, and good for testing in situations like this.... ;)

(This is also why I've still got a pair of old Slot 1 PII's in a box, and a S370 Celeron, and.... LOL)

Good luck...hope it's something simple.

Fever said:
Look in your manual for the 100fsb jumper, I have that board and it can be a major pain to get started when it decides not to post... Don't worry though, once you play with the jumper you'll be fine.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks a ton Fever - I'm back up and running good. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions as well. I thought I was gonna have to go and buy a new processor.

Right there on page 2-31.....MSI reminds you, if your board hangs while overclocking, please reset J10 to safe mode and reboot. After rebooting, enter BIOS and reset to BIOS defaults.

JezterVA said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks a ton Fever - I'm back up and running good. Thanks everyone else for the suggestions as well. I thought I was gonna have to go and buy a new processor.

Right there on page 2-31.....MSI reminds you, if your board hangs while overclocking, please reset J10 to safe mode and reboot. After rebooting, enter BIOS and reset to BIOS defaults.

Awesome. Good news is always a happy thing. :thup:

It gets a bit scary when things go afowl like this and you can't figure it out right away... I remember building my first system (Celeron 300A/Slot 1) and I missed the Berg (power) connector on the floppy drive by one pin. If you do this nothing works. No beep, no post, no boot, nothing. AAAAUGH!

Happy overclocking!

B.

Back