• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive slowly dieing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

I havent had a harddrive doe or give me trouble for years, but i currently have a hitachi 200gb ide drive running as my OS drive. when i access files or while its running idle it gives off a High pitch consistant whine. it could be my PSU also, but im not to sure. i know its not the Case fan, but im almost positive its the harddrive.

Im thinking maybe the bearings have been running hot that ther just got a lil loud.. the drive was running around 46c~50c for a few months (via onboard temp sensor)..

So im thinking about getting a new drive maybe the WD with the new FDB bearings?

Anyone have an idea what the problem is or maybe what i should/could do?

Thanks.

Vio1 said:
can you send it back and get a replacement? Still under warrenty?

of course, the noise might be an emi issue.. sometimes i hear it sometimes i dont. but its enough to give me a headache. i remember when i had my NV 5900Ultra some set of drivers made the gpu and hdd whine everytime you scrolled. this is very similar. sometimes with i scroll, when i access a file or the hdd is thinking that high picth sound goes in/out. i have a very low DB system (under 35db fans) and tat whine can be heard pretty loudly over it.

when you bought the drive was it ever making such sounds? If not when was the first time you noticed it?

Id just RMA it.

Back