• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocked cpu reboots randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ensabah6

Registered
hi,
my overclocked tualatin cpu reboots randomly when overclocked, despite temp on the order of 45C, and voltages up to 1.60 volts (default 1.475).
cpu 1100*100mhz, OC 133*11=1467mhz.

it boots, loads windows, allows me to run windows, does not hang or freeze, but randomly reboots.

rebooting is not a problem when cpu is not overclocked.

any reasons why this happens, and is it fixable?

thanks
dan

Run Memtest86 and Prime95 to see if it is stable. If it isnt, which most likely is your problem, then you need to either let up on the OC, or give it more voltage.

Time to get a bigger PSU, at least thats what happens with AMD processors when the PSU can't handle the load. To make sure I would run prime95 and CPU-Z or some other program that monitors voltage to see if it hops around.

GL

actually the cpu voltage does jump around.

curious
so you think it's a PSU issue? curious since 250 watts and the cpu overclocked on ly needs 40 watts.

dan

Its always possible you may just be at the limit of your chip...with mine it is stable at 275fsb, unstable at 280, and if I try to set it to 285 it gets all the way to windows and then reboots. So the fact that you are rebooting tells me that you've overclocked too far.

If you're getting funky voltage from your psu though, that could definitely be a culprit. What brand are you using?

hi
i'm using the standard 250watt PSU that came with my AOPEN KF35K generic midtower ATX, beige.

i don't deny i may be hitting the cpu limits, but intel does sell 1.4ghz celeron tualatins, and most can easily hit 133*11=1467mhz.

HOWEVER, i am also a silence pc addict, so i removed the PSU fan, and its very quiet ;-)
it did not occur to me removing the PSU fan would or could result in voltage irregularities.

Chaos_Being said:
Its always possible you may just be at the limit of your chip...with mine it is stable at 275fsb, unstable at 280, and if I try to set it to 285 it gets all the way to windows and then reboots. So the fact that you are rebooting tells me that you've overclocked too far.

If you're getting funky voltage from your psu though, that could definitely be a culprit. What brand are you using?

Sorry for the late reply.

I'd guess that your PS is definitely the culprit here. "Generic" power supplies are notorious for fluctuating voltages- I'd be willing to wager that if you replaced it with something like an Antec PS, you'd have much more stable voltage (and, most likely, would get rid of the reboots.)

Another thing that may be happening is your current PS could be overheating. I had a client who's computer would reboot itself hourly. Lo and behold, the fan in his PS was dead- once it ran long enough, the PS would get really hot and cut off. Without a fan, yours could be doing the same thing now :eh?:

Hi, I have (had) the same problem.
I wrote this in another Thread in the Mobo section:

Private Joker said:
I get random bluescreens since I droop and Vdimm modded my P4C800E...
Has anyone experienced this?
Is it possible, that the mosfets overheat?

My V-rails are pretty stable..
12v drops to 11.92v
5v drops to ~5.1v
3.3v drops to 3.25v
With poti at ~10kOhm (enough) my Vcore drops from 1.568v to 1.536v.
I´m pretty sure, that my mod is done well...

Im running the system at 250 FSB = 3.5GHz at the moment and the problem is gone..

But I´m asking myself, what component did cause it?

Sandra 2004 reports 103watts CPU core power at 250FSB and 110Watts at 255FSB.
I dont believe that its because of those ~10Watt...

I have a 550Watt "Power LC" - PSU..Specs:
DC Output:
+5 Volt = 40A, +12 Volt = 24A, +3.3 Volt = 32A, -5 Volt = 0.5A, -12 Volt = 1A

Has anyone an idea?

P.S: Prime ran stable and was only interupted by the random bluescreens....

Back