• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this crack my GPU or PCB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
When my GeForce2 Ultra gets here, I plan on attaching the HSF in the following manner (I attached a crude 3D model I threw together to illustrate my isea). I'd like to get som opinions on the general roubustness of AGP cards. Do you guys think this will break either the GPU or PCB? It's not like I'd be cranking the bolts down as hard as I possibly could. And the "strut" IS made of 1/8" aluminum, so it CAN bend.

Basically, I'm worried about an air void between the GPU and PCB, much like a Socket CPU has a small pocket of air behind itself and the motherboard. I'm worried that pressure to the focal point (See attachments) might crack the PCB in that area, or crack the GPU's edges off. (Note that this is an accurate representation. The HSF I choose to use is the same ratio as is depicted here)

Last edited:
I wouldnt be to worried about it, but shouldnt it already have a heatsink on? i have a geforce II and it came with a passive cooling unit already attached to it. If you do do what you wanted to, then i would put some foam or something of the sort were the clip on the back touches the actual board so it wouldnt put as much pressure on the PCB.

I'm just incredibly impressed by his "crude" 3D reprensentations. Very nice job. I doubt you'll break anything if you don't put it on to tight but yes you probably do want to try to keep the clip from rubbing up against anything on the backside.

I plan to use a square of Frag tape to separate the 2 surfaces. This would also enable the alumunim clip to dissipate heat on the back of the card as well.

And thank you for the compliment. =)

PhLuBB said:
I plan to use a square of Frag tape to separate the 2 surfaces. This would also enable the alumunim clip to dissipate heat on the back of the card as well.

And thank you for the compliment. =)

Thats a pretty interesting idea, why dont you make the clip out of a heatsink as it may conduct heat as you said, maybe something like this with fins
HS-79.jpg

I thought of that, but bending a long heatsink into the shape shown in the 3D renders would be very difficuly, if not impossible for a home user with no metal bending/manipulating tools.

It must be in the shape shown (But not nessecarily as tall) in order to clear the ICs and transistors on the back of the board.

I already have a mini heatsink (3/8" by 1") lapped and ready to attach perpendicular to the metal retainer via thermal epoxy. This second heatsink should do a better job than theretainer itself.

i don't think you will have a problem at all with what you are looking to do, just don't tighten it too much
what program did you use to make your 3d pictures?
you want to make logo's for me?

You could put a heatsink on backside also and have springs on screws which would hold both heatsinks in place. The backside HS would rest upon the capasitors which heat up pretty much. Base of the backside HS should be electrically insulated with thermal adhesive tape or something to prevent short circuiting.

That is about how I had it with Asus V7700 GF2. I didn't insulate the backside HS/fan (the one that originally came with the card) by the time I decided to use use screws instead of tape and it destroyed the card.

Back