• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the depressing state of multiplayer gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiNdWaRp

I'm in a clan, been with these guys 18 months, today we were discussing the future of things, cause there really aren't any great games coming out. I mean, they're all pretty mediocre compared to the older games as far as replayablility, ESPECIALLY online. Anyone have comments on this?

I agree, it seems that even though I have games like Battlefield Vietnam, Far Cry and Painkiller I still play my older games much more than the newer ones.

current games are mediocre because virtually every type of game you can imagine has been done over and over and over.... already. there's going to be another explosion of great MP games in the near future, were just in a rut right now while everyone is trying to find a unique type of game.

(atleast i hope what i said is true. if not then gaming is going to get really boring soon :( )

heh most all games seem to be im a slump so to speak ... even mmorpg games ... there have been hordes of them cancled that were slated for production recently ...

What john240sx said is probably the main reason why gaming in general is getting rather boring. I know that personally I used to play WCII and StarCraft religiously every night with mostly the same people. Then WCIII came out and stole the thunder for awhile and then that got boring in a hurry. I think that one thing that might be hurting gaming in general is that the learning curve for a lot of the new games is pretty steep and it is keeping a good portion of the gamers away. I know that personally there have been times where I just do not have the time, or want to take the time to learn a new game so I just park it and figure that I will get to it later, but then another game comes out and I just never get to some of the older games that I wanted to. It seems like the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule has been thrown out in favor of flashy graphics and more in depth gameplay. Not a bad thing neccesarrily, but a lot of us just dont have time for all the learning needed to get good at some of those games.

I feel that the future of gaming is in Mods. Desert Combat is awesome, and very well done, and I think this is pushing developers to make engines that are easier to mod (eg. Epic).

The technology becomes better but the originality is diminishing.

Just wait for WWIII then we will have a long spew of those games instead of WWI and WWII :D .

However, Tribes3 is coming out and as long as if whoever is making it doesnt put on a blindfold while making it, it will totally rock

TUK101 said:
I think that one thing that might be hurting gaming in general is that the learning curve for a lot of the new games is pretty steep and it is keeping a good portion of the gamers away. I know that personally there have been times where I just do not have the time, or want to take the time to learn a new game so I just park it and figure that I will get to it later, but then another game comes out and I just never get to some of the older games that I wanted to. It seems like the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule has been thrown out in favor of flashy graphics and more in depth gameplay. Not a bad thing neccesarrily, but a lot of us just dont have time for all the learning needed to get good at some of those games.

yeah, like X2 The Threat. it had the potential to be a killer game but i just can't get past the steep learning curve and god awful controls that can't be customized. another $30 that could have went into my next upgrade :cry:

amazon10x said:
Just wait for WWIII then we will have a long spew of those games instead of WWI and WWII :D .
Thats rather sicking, that gamers would want millions to die, for a some digital fun.

WW III has been fictionally created in video games quite enough, we dont need a plot line to follow.

The Vietnam War holds gaming potential and already has some good games for it.

In depth gameplay? HA!

If anything games are getting dumber, while the deep ones can't compete

I just stick with the games with best communtys....Im in a CS clan but we also play UT and DOD and Battlefield...which also are great games with great communitys.....which make for good times....Im stucking with those 3 games and not jumping on evrey new games band wagons....

9mmCensor said:
I feel that the future of gaming is in Mods. Desert Combat is awesome, and very well done, and I think this is pushing developers to make engines that are easier to mod (eg. Epic).

I totally agree with that statement.

In the future there will be more small groups of developers making games and fewer large companies. Large companies will still make the majority of games, but I believe the gap will be closing. There are some people out there with good ideas and they are finally getting a chance to share them.

And as for the games about wars discussion, I like what Battlefield 2 is doing, not basing the game on a war, but rather a time period with that time period's weapons.

games i got and never play.

BF
UT 2k3
UT 2k4.

game I only play is CS.

and that hasnt worked for 6 days now. both patches they release cause issues for loads of people. I cant log onto steam any more

keep trying...always worked for me...oh I also play CZ now because the map makers really embraced this game morethan CS for some reason....great for pubbing!

I have said this about a million times guys, its no the state of the games comming out, the games are fine, its us. We are getting bored of the same old thing, were burnt out, the games are fine.

You need a new genre, remember the first time you played whatever game you love, it was a shock to your brain. What happens if you play a new game thats almost like the original one, you are not as thrilled. It sucks but thats just how it works with the brain :(.

I think its simply that games developers know what has worked in the past and dont want to take risks by making something new and challenging...as has been mentioned - its mods that make all the crazy risks etc. You see alot of mods that have amazing features that simply games developers would never do - until these mods become overly popular and then games developers will throw a big budget at that and steal the thunder

Yep, mods are where its at, i like W3, just not the original gameplay. The engine is very versatile and allows for many different types of gameplay to be played. I personally like adverserial hero maps(DOTA, ToB, that other one...). StarCraft did this pretty well too, really liked playing madness maps in that.

Im pretty sure the reason for mods being so great is that theres exponentially more people to mod the game than make it, allowing for many more points of view and ideas to come into the game, and since the focus isnt on making money(for most...), it allows the developers to take their time and do things well.

The modders are from the community, so they will listen to it. many game developers do this, but i think they dont create the same relationship, because their companies ultimate goal is to make more money(hopefully by pleasing the customer right?).

Last edited:
I agree. As gamers most of us *myself included* are burned out from too many games that simply play the same but with a twist here or there. For me it's the online fps. I played quake 1- quake3 and cs religiously *were talking examples like: 2 days straight no sleep just me a soda and a pack of smokes* for about 4-6years and I am completely worn out. Even some of the singleplayer fps's are boring me these days. After wasting money on bf1942 and ut2k4 Far Cry has sorta brought me back to the fps scene, but the problem still remains, kill rinse repeat, that's all it's about and it has bored me. I went to the mmorpg and rpg's for my next fix and found it in asheron's call 2 and morrowind/neverwinter nights. Again after spending ungodly ammounts of time with each I was distraught as it was another scenario of glorified kill rinse repeat. Really the only games that I play on a daily basis anymore is Ea's NHL2004, Lomac, and Toca2.

To me the problem is all the games are all the same, but with diffrent faces on them. I have high hopes for Eq2, D3, WOW, HL2, NFSU2 but someone has got to come up with some new game mechanics before many of us are driven to the randomness and unpredictability of the real world!. ;)

9mmCensor said:

DC was fun when it came out and lil after that but now DCi think sucks. Forgotten Hope is so much better.

Back