• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official LGA775 review thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

OK peeps, thought I would start this thread so we can share where are the new LGA775 and Mobo reviews are.

Main concern is to find out how these new babies overclock! And to ascertain the best mobo for us to use with them, bios features etc.

Standard Features of Intel Desktop Chipsets are here
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm

The current mobos on the market I am aware of are.

Intel Boards - Loads of em, no overclocking features though :(

ABIT - www.abit.com.tw
AA8 Duramax 925P "Alderwood", DDR2-533, PCI-E x16, All bells and whistles
AG8 PRO 915P "Grantsdale", DDR1-400, PCI-E x16
AS8 i865P, AGP 8x, DDR1-400, ALl usual 865 Specs
Basic range but should be solid boards. It will be interesting to see if overclocking lock works when LGA775 processor used with old 865 chipset!

ASUS - http://uk.asus.com/news/2004/20040621.htm
DDR2-600 and FSB 1066 support
P5AD2 925X Alderwood, DDR2-600 Support, PCI-E x16 All bells and whisltes
P5GD2 915X Grantsdale, DDR2-600 Support, PCI-E x16
P5GDC Deluxe 915P Grantsdale, DDR2 + DDR1 Support, PCI-E x16?
P5GD1 915P Granstdale, DDR1 only, PCI-E x16?
P5GDC-V Deluxe, 915G, DDR2 + DDR1 Support, Integrated GMA900 Graphics
P5GD1-VM, uATX, DDR1, Integrated Graphics

Albatron - www.albatron.de
PX925X-Pro Alderwood, 925X, DDR2, PCI-E x16, Dual LAN
PX915P-Pro Granstdale, 915P, DDR1, PCI-E x16, Dual LAN
PX915G-Pro Granstdale, 915G, DDR1, PCI-E x16, GMA900 Integrated Graphics

Epox - http://www.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/5ega+.htm
Epox only has the one board
5GEA - GRanstdale 915G Board, DDR1?, PCI-E x16, GMA900 Integrated Graphics

Shuttle - www.shuttle.com
Shuttle has two XPCs based on their new Micro ATX motherboards - XPC SB81P 915P and the XPC SB83G5 integrated graphic 915G one.

Please add to this thread as we go along, especially with reviews and overclocking information.

Cheers - Marko

hey nice thread,always helpfull knowing whats available atm.first list of mobos ive seen for the 775 so far!

here is a list of cpus and revsions ive snagged from intel.
attachment.php

good info on overclocking here http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2092

oh and its even been updated with an intel reply, must go reread :D

UPDATE: Intel's Reply. Intel declined to officially answer our question about whether they have implemented a 10% Overclock Lock on the 915 and 925X chipsets. Intel provided the following official statement:
"Intel has done extensive evaluation of our 915G/P and 925X chipset products and have designed them to run robustly at 800FSB. Any use or operation of these chipsets beyond their specifications, including overclocking, has not been evaluated or validated by Intel. If a board provider decides to overclock their platform, they do so at their own risk, since this action will void the warranty for the Intel products. Additionally, from time to time, Intel may choose to implement functionality that helps to ensure that the Intel product experience is not degraded by those who may try to run our products out of spec."

Possibly something to keep an eye on (taken from HardOCP.com):

Intel Recall Rumors?
We are getting news from several different sources that a recall might be about to move forward regarding Intel's ICH6R southbridge controller. We were told that there seems to be a problem with motherboards booting using the RAID controller of the silicon. We have calls into Intel, motherboard builders, and retailers to verify this and expect call backs very soon to verify this issue. Two sources in the industry did report that "something" is going on, but they would not give public statements to either confirm nor deny this stories we are hearing. Stay tuned. Also you will see that we used ABIT's RAID controllers without issue on their AA8 and AG8 motherboards that use the ICH6R.

Update: At this time we can confirm that NewEgg.com is removing questionable motherboards using the new Intel 925/915 chipset technology till further official information is gathered. Kudos to NewEgg for sacrificing a few sales in order to protect their customer's best interest.

i have my 3.2 ghz lga775 running at 3.8 default vcore on air. today i have already started installing my watercooling setup into the system. 4 ghz was my oc goal, but it looks like 4.2 might be in reach! :attn:

edit: btw im using the Abit AA8 DuraMAX mobo. it simply kicks ***! the guru technology is great for overclocking. i have a question though, would it be better to run at the default 3:4 ratio ( default 200:266) or 1:1 (200:200)? obviously im going to be overclocking the system; i can get my ram at like 315 when im at 3.8 and my cpu at 238.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a prometeia can be mounted on any of the LGA775 boards. Too many obstructions around the socket. :(

That sucks Audiman - I have this LGA775 rig but it is just sitting in my loft crunching - I would rather use the Xeon or the Northwood system!

I was reading the Asetek forums, and they're working on a mounting kit for the LGA775 :). I'm probably picking up a Vapo LS.

Help me out guys. In two weeks after I get back from vacation, should I get a Vapo LS or LGA775 CPU/Mobo/RAM/PCI-E Video ?

My question is, will they release A daul X16 Pci-Express slotted motherboard for the LGA775 boards? or will you have to go with the Tumwater motherboard and have to buy xeons?

In short: I want dual 6800 Ultras :drool:

n0ob3r said:
My question is, will they release A daul X16 Pci-Express slotted motherboard for the LGA775 boards? or will you have to go with the Tumwater motherboard and have to buy xeons?

In short: I want dual 6800 Ultras :drool:

What would you do with two of them? :eek:

Sophisticated said:
4 screens maybe?? extra 3dmark points maybe??? money is burning hole in pocket maybe??

I think your last suggestion makes the most sense ;)

BTW, that Asus P5AD2 Premium is looking nice though. I'm just waiting for it to mature a bit and see some more reviews. Hopefully a newer revision of the board will allow for more room around the socket.

I am sorry,I forgot to explain my purpose for two cards. I want it for SLI :).
Back to my previous post, The thing with the current PCI-EXPRESS motherboards is, is that they only have one x16 Slot. The Tumwaters have 2 of these which allow one to put two cards in at the same time. One thing that is pricking me is that the Tumwaters I do believe are Xeon only boards :-/

Here is one URL from nvidia themselves.

SLI

Back