• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARE ABIT boards good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkh

I am really looking at the new intel boards from abit the UGuru seems like a really cool thing the esay flash bios really looks good.

The newer Springdale and Canterwood boards from Abit are all good. Some of them do, however, have a few quirks such as +10 degrees temp readings, flakey Vdimm at certain voltages etc...

But it can all be worked around, and all in all they are ok boards!

I think the biggest gripe I see is concerning the temperature measurement. I've also heard of people having problems with onboard sound on some of the boards (such as the IC7, the one I use.) I actually use the onboard sound, and have had no real complaints with it, so *shrug*

The flashmenu bios updater is very nice :) The overclocking ability of Abit boards is also very good, just good quality all around- I'd recommend them.

veryhumid said:
I LOVE my max3, lots of nice features and very well-built for overclocking. Worth every penny so far.

completely agreed :)

I *really* like the Gbit CSA LAN. they can leech my entire disk during LAN play, i wont be lagging :D

I've had a KT7-RAID and a TH7II-RAID board in previous computers and both haved served me very well. I am also planning on getting an IC7-G Max II Advance board within the next month or two.

To summarize, I have owned boards form Asus, Epox, Soyo, Gigabyte, and Abit, and Abit is the only brand where I have bought multiple boards from, so yes Abit boards are great.

just wondering, are their any sort of temp issues with the AI7, or any issues at all for that matter. im setting one up for a friend and i dont want to have to tell him that his temp's real high.

Actually, on some abit boards, you will have to distract 10 degrees celcius from the mobo readings to get the actual :)

Some newer BIOS ought to fix it often, but on mine the readings still are way too high

dalek2.0 said:
No problems with temp or anything else for that matter. I use Linux and it works fine for that too.

Very good in my opinion.

:D :D :D

The temp issue is, AFAIK, p4 boards only. Linux only isnt the almighty problem solver ;)

Sjaak said:
The temp issue is, AFAIK, p4 boards only. Linux only isnt the almighty problem solver ;)

I didn't imply that it was. I just said that the mobo works fine with Linux. There are drivers available for the on board LAN and sound etc, not sure about the on board video though.

Since you mentioned it though, I think Linux is better. No viruses or trojan problems yet. No firewall or anything. No bugs. That is also one of the reasons I use only Linux. Windoze is not worth a free download in my opinion. I'm sure not going to buy it. :temper:

That said, the mobo is a great mobo.

Later

:D :D :D :D

Well i have an IS7.
After a lot of reading, i have found that abit has another problem (apart from temp. readings) that is memory voltage control.
Abit boards DON'T have VTT tracking.
That means if you wanted to increase VDIMM with something like OCZ DDR Booster with out modding your board - you can't. You still have to do the VTT mode and set it according to VDIMM.
So i think my next board might be an ASUS which does have VTT Tracking.

nimrod_o said:
Well i have an IS7.
After a lot of reading, i have found that abit has another problem (apart from temp. readings) that is memory voltage control.
Abit boards DON'T have VTT tracking.
That means if you wanted to increase VDIMM with something like OCZ DDR Booster with out modding your board - you can't. You still have to do the VTT mode and set it according to VDIMM.
So i think my next board might be an ASUS which does have VTT Tracking.
This is not totally accurate. Abit mobos have to have VTT tracking or no mem at all would ever run stable in them. They just do their VTT tracking differently than others. It is true the the OCZ voltage booster will probably not work on the IC7 Abit series with out a mod. But a lot of mobos need a mod of one type or another to OC well.

the only issues i have with abit is their vtt voltage. to the regualr guy this is no prob. but to the maniacs that want 300+ it affects ram performance. plus the guys buying the expensive max3 shouldnt have to pay 160/170 then have to fix it on their own. also the max3 should give the user nb adjustments. 1.5volts aint enuff for over 300 fsb.other than that i really like abit. their lower cost ic7 is a modders dream cause its cheep and once u mod it out it screams....

Back