• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's up with these maxtor drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Yes, usually retail parts are more expensive than OEM ones.... And not only for the added packing box, cables and manual included... specifically with disk drives the warranty can also be shorter for OEMs (don't know if this is the case though).

Regards
FTC

Usually when i buy my drives they come in a plastic seal..nothing more. Could be the more expensive ones have them cables, manuals etc, but does that make them 20% more expensive? :eek:

i dont know the difference... but have you thought of the possibility of those being the same?

the first "cheap" one, varies from 102 euros, to 190 euros! so maybe the other two belong in that list aswell...

seamadan000 said:
the more expensive one may be the liquid ball bearing version of the drive

uhh what do you mean? AFAIK, all the diamondmax plus 9 drives have liquid bearing instead of ball (Fluid Dynamic Bearing motors or somethin)

If you follow the links it is obvious that the cheaper ones are "bare drives" while the more expensive drives are "retail drive kits".
For example:
Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax Plus 9 S-ATA 7200rpm 8MB Cache 6Y120MO €95,00
Maxtor 160GB DiamondMax Plus 9 S-ATA 7200rpm 8MB Cache 6Y160MO €110,00
Maxtor 120GB RTL 7200rpm S-ATA 8MB Cache L14M120 €115,00
Maxtor 160GB RTL 7200rpm S-ATA 8MB Cache L14M160 €132,00

Maxtor Bare Drives: 6Y120MO, 6Y160MO
Maxtor Retail Drive Kits: L14M120, L14M160

Hmz. Big price difference for just the 'extras' Whatever, i don't need them, ill go with the cheap ones :p

Back