• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My WD 7200 RPM 250 GB hard drive is being fruity. HELP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntonioBanderas

Disabled
My Western Digital 7200 RPM 250 GB Hard Drive is constantly working no matter what. It is working when it is idle even.

The hard drive light on my Shuttle XPC is ALWAYS blinking and it slows EVERYTHING down. I am about to shove this thing up my dog's peehole. What can I do to stop it? I want to play my games again.

I have a Shuttle XPC SN85G4 with Nforce 3 150 mobo, Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB of GEIL PC-3200 RAM, Western Digital 250 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, and a Geforce FX 5600 Ultra. All drivers are updated and no errors are detected. HELP.

Sounds like a virus to me. I repaired 2 computers at my dentist's office that showed similar activity (disk and cpu utilization) and it turned out that his computers were loaded with about 13 to 17 viruses. His computers were no where near your specs, but the same activity was present. Do a more thorough investigation.

Have you Defragmented? Give that a try and see if it helps. If the drive is very fragmented, it may cause the drive to swap back and forth between different parts of the HD.

true thats is very true BCHUR
but i think it sounds like its just filled with junk and vireses.
if thats the case just format its the best thing for a hd imo

formatting a 250 GB hard drive with no zip drive or any way to back stuff up in an XPC sucks ***. Left my cd burner at my regular house, at beach house for the summer.

some Trojan viruses were detected and I can't find them or get rid of them. Anti virus programs say they are uncleanable.

Back