• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question about HDDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vipergtsr1736

I just finished setting up a SATA RAID array :burn: , and decided that I also wanted to use my older IDE HDD for media storage. The older IDE still has an old XP installation on it. My question is, if I just want to use the HDD for storage of files, is it OK to simply delete the windows and program files folders? I am going to reformat the IDE eventually, but for now there are some things left on there I want to keep on there, so I dont want to format it yet. Is it safe to delete those folders? Also, will having another HDD hooked up slow me down at all? Benchmarks, file access, etc.

You can try to delete the folders you want to, but if I remember correctly, i tried once, but I got an "acces denied" error when trying to delete the folder. I'm not 100% sure though....

I have done something like this before, but it was via USB. I mainly did it to extract files off of corrupt HDD's, but I think you could get away with it for a bit. Just rename the drive to K: or something, also you should be able to use it with out removing the system flies.

lucas81 said:
You can try to delete the folders you want to, but if I remember correctly, i tried once, but I got an "acces denied" error when trying to delete the folder. I'm not 100% sure though....

Same thing. Windows will not let you delete another Windows installation for some reason...

An IDE drive will not slow down the raid array.It is safe to just leave the installation like it is as long as you have the bios set to boot from the array.In fact adding a static pagefile on the storage drive may help out your array a little and disk to disk transferes will be faster than moving data within the array.later you can reformat the drive in Windows.

Back