• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! My IDE is not enough for my devices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

U|tim4T3z

Registered
Currently, I want to install 1 cd-rom, 1 cd-rw, 1 dvd-rom, 1 dvd-writer and 2 hdds on my PC. I have pure 400w PSU, the problem is, i found that the IDE cable is not enough for those devices... So how to solve this problem. Someone suggest me to buy the IDE cable which has 3 sockets. So each 3 devices installed on 1 IDE cable. Well, will this slow-down the transfer rate of each device? Thanks in advance...

beat me to it bchur! i guess thats what i get for sitting around looking a for a pci card example for 15 minutes :x

Pick up one of these card and put you optical drives on it (only $9)http://www.androidsystems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=441 or you can pick up a USB case for any of your drives (I use this option) and newegg has one on sale ($31) http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-145-314&DEPA=0 it's the same type as the ones I use. I have nothing but good things to say about them and you can stack them 4-5 high turn them on and off when you need them while your computer is running.

snwman said:
why not get a cdrw/dvdrw combo drive...

Just get the dvd and a cdrw/dvdrw combo drives and be done with it. There is no need at all for all those drives. The regular cd rom dive would just be a total waste.

Perhaps he does a lot of ripping and burning in both CD and DVD formats... The 4 drives could get that done faster than just 2.

I agree 100% with IMOG on this. In fact I have experienced it first hand, I had to sell my DVD CD-RW combo drive and get a plain DVD drive to maximize my ripping times on DVD's of varying formats, the same holds true for CD-ROM's (not as bad). I lucked out because I am able to run my ripper off USB 2.0.

Back