• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Boot Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZachM

*Pre Edit*
I got the problem fixed. I would still like some opinions why my solution worked. If you don't want to read the whole thing skim over the first paragraph so you know what my problem was, then skip to my second edit.
*End Edit*

I'm typing this message from safe mode. I am using Windows 2000 Pro, and when I try to boot normally windows doesn't login completely. When I log in the start menu loads and that is it. No desktop background, no icons, and only Speed Fan starts in the system tray. I've scanned for viruses and spyware. I moved items off my desktop (I've had corrupted files on my desktop in the past which caused similar problems). I disabled all autostart programs, and checked for new windows updates. I also tried lowering my overclocks and increasing voltages. After all of that I'm still having the same problem. The problem started after I rebooted the computer. Since then I have only been able to log on in safe mode. So I am asking you guys for help. Hopefully somebody else has had a similar problem, and solved it. I really don't want to format and re-install Windows. :bang head

Thanks for any help.

*Edit*
Tried some more stuff, still not working. I tried both RAM sticks separately. I unplugged all other IDE devices except my hard drive. I tried a new IDE cable and my hard drive plugged into the other IDE channel. It's not looking like a hardware problem at this point.
*End Edit*

*Edit #2*
It Works! I unplugged the network cable and it booted normally. I plugged it back in, and everything's fine. So now I'm wondering why the network cable plugged in prevented it from booting. I'm thinking that it might be my chipset drivers (since I'm using the onboard NIC). I'm running some remix drivers. Could those be faulty?
*End Edit*

Last edited:
only thing i have to say is that onboard NIC's have given me hell in the past

problems have ranged from random reboots and curropted files not to mention crap connectivity for what ever task im using it for

Interesting. I had similar problem with XP pro (boot untill desktop screen, no icons or start menu). Never thpought it could be the onboard NICK. Always ended up reformat and reinstall OS.

Back