• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt Proc/Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

two_dope2000

well, i just fried my processor. it had a long overclocked life. And now its all over, ill miss it.

i tried to take the cap off of my K6-2 400 and it was glued really well! i heard a crack and i wasnt sure if it was my knuckle or the processor, i put it in and it wouldnt post, so now im screwed:( im running a K5 pr166! wow, now thats real speed, yeah rite.

oh well though, it looks like its a t-bird for me. do any of you guys now the usual price for a thunderbird, at least a gig and 100 fsb at least, and that should serve me well.

Seeing as you'll have to replace the mobo as well, maybe now would be a good time to go DDR - it's only £30 for 256MB of PC2100 at the moment, and I think prices are just as crazy over in the US as well, so the RAM itself isn't really a great extra expense on top of the mobo and cpu. For DDR boards, I'm trying to decide right now which one to get, and I've narrowed it down to either the Abit KG7-RAID or the Epox 8K7A+. As for the cpu, the 1.4gig 266 bus, the top of the range, has just dropped to about $110 I think! At that price I can't really see any reason even to buy a duron any more, let alone a lower speed Tbird :D

My advice would be DDR mobo, 256MB DDR, and the fastest 266 bus chip you can afford. I doubt you'll be disappointed, and you could probably get it all for $250 or $300 (I know that lot would cost about £250 to £300 depending on what mobo you got here).

If you want pointing to any reviews of a board, just ask - I'm sure myself or someone could show you one :)

two_dope2000 said:
well, i just fried my processor. it had a long overclocked life. And now its all over, ill miss it.

i tried to take the cap off of my K6-2 400 and it was glued really well! i heard a crack and i wasnt sure if it was my knuckle or the processor, i put it in and it wouldnt post, so now im screwed:( im running a K5 pr166! wow, now thats real speed, yeah rite.

oh well though, it looks like its a t-bird for me. do any of you guys now the usual price for a thunderbird, at least a gig and 100 fsb at least, and that should serve me well.

Less than 100$ i think, and get the 133fsb(266) beacuse its CHEAPER than the 100mhz one:)

Also ur sure to get an better stepping with the 133mhz one, if ur lucky it will do 1.5-1.6 on air

Back