• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KNXP & 2.66B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawks2

8knxp & 2.66b

First, I want to say I'm impressed with this forum and the wealth of knowledge exuding from it.

Second, I have been a big fan of Gigabyte products and recently moved from an 8IEXP to an 8KNXP (rev2). Unfortunately, I'm having a real tough time overclocking this board. It's mostly because I'm a newbie and do not completely understand what it takes to really push the board.

I have been able to push it to 2.9, but no further using EZ tune. I've seen a couple of guys on here, notably Falconnian, who has been able to push his 2.66 to low 3's.

How is this done/possible? I apologize for being an ignoramus, just not quite understanding the ratios/timings/power requirements etc...

Last edited:
hello, and let me start out with the fact that i have a 2.8b, not a 2.66. second off, i highy not recommend that you overclock in windows (aka ez tune). overclocking should be done through bios to achieve the best results possible.

now before i can help you, i need to kno:

1) memory- speed
2) cooling - what kind of cooling you are using.

after you give me that, we can move on. :D

Thx Falconnian for taking the time to help me out.

I have Corsair XMS 2700C2 - 333Mhz/2.7Gb/s - According to some posts I've read in news groups, they overclock well. I'm running them in dual channel mode and Sandra tells me their bandwidth is 3.2 Gb/s. Additionally, I'm running the "Full Thrust" mode in the C.I.A area of the bios, not really sure if this does something or if it's just horse poop.

As for cooling, I have the Thermaltake P4 Spark 7. Haven't delved into water cooling...yet... :D

ok simple. do what i did.

enter bios

press ctrl+f1, then goto frequecy/voltage

disable C.I.A.
then under that, i believe its the manual entry, select enable.
then that should open up alot of more options. we are going to start out with trying to get it to 2.8, then higher. first you can do what i did, the memory ratio you are given two options: 2.0 and 2.66. what i did (i also have 2700 ram) is set it to 2.0, therefore this will give you greater performance with the memory, since the fsb and memory are operating at a 1:1 ratio. setting it to 2.0 should show the ram speed as 266, no worries, since we are going to upclock, it will be much higher. next thing you should do is lock the agp/pci/s ratio to 66/33/100. then we move onto adjusting the fsb. change the fsb from 133 to 140. and before you save and exit. goto the advanced chip section, and adjust the timings to 2-2-2-6. (you have to select manual instead of spd). then on the bottom, there should be a "fast chip select", set that to enabled, instead of auto, this will enable PAT. save, reboot, and run prime95 for acouple of hours and if everything is ok, then raise the fsb another 5. if prime gives you errors, then you will have to go back and up the voltage to 1.535 (thats what i have mine to). then test again. hope this helps. cheers

ps. i want a 6800 ultra :(

Will give it a shot. Get back to you midweek with success/failure. :beer:

The Geforce 6800U is incredible. Unfortunately, it died after working fantastically for 4 days. :bang head

Falconnian, haven't had much time to oc, but decided against it. Was beginning to think I may have killed my 6800U that way. The last thing I want to do is have to wait 2 weeks to get my 6800U back again.

It's either that, or I just sell the damn thing and buy an X800. But then I won't be able to see SM3 on Far Cry. Honestly, I can't see a huge difference. :eh?:

This world is filled with too many choices.

chawks2 said:
Falconnian, haven't had much time to oc, but decided against it. Was beginning to think I may have killed my 6800U that way. The last thing I want to do is have to wait 2 weeks to get my 6800U back again.

It's either that, or I just sell the damn thing and buy an X800. But then I won't be able to see SM3 on Far Cry. Honestly, I can't see a huge difference. :eh?:

This world is filled with too many choices.

first, sorry for my bad english.........

you will not se any diference. the only thing that shaders 3.0 do is upgrade the performance, but, some people have discovered how to aply this performance to the x800, giving best results than the 6800!!!!

what power suply you have??? maybe you killed your 6800 because the power suply cant "seed" all the components in your case

and dont worry, the knxp is a great overclocker. i manage to overclock my 2.8 to 3.5 without problems

Back