• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wich XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odin8yoshi

:bang head Okay so my computer died on me, i reformatted, lost all my data yada yada. Then i got out my win 98 disc, and i think its going to install correctly but then it gets to 23% done copying files, and it says it cant read the files off my disc. So im getting windows xp home for my birthday (27th, 3 days :bday: ) and i need to know wich one to get, i know theres the OEM version the upgrade version and i believe one more. I think i need the OEM version because it lets you install without having 98se or whatever pre-installed. Enlighten me.

There is the retail and OEM version that are options for you. Either will work, I would go with OEM because it just doesn't have the fancy packageing. :)

the only difference between the oem version and the upgrade is that when you install using the upgrade disk you will need to have your windows 98 cd nearby so windows can verify that you do indeed have an older copy of windows kicking around. other than that they are the same thing.

BEWARE OF UPGRADE!!!

this is the caveat: when in the future you need to reinstall windoz (a very likely possibility) guess what? first u hafta install Win98 and then upgrade. So youre stuck with a double reinstall. Get the package for a new PC. much more versatile/

mayagrafix said:
BEWARE OF UPGRADE!!!

this is the caveat: when in the future you need to reinstall windoz (a very likely possibility) guess what? first u hafta install Win98 and then upgrade. So youre stuck with a double reinstall. Get the package for a new PC. much more versatile/

No you don't, you just have to boot from the upgrade and it will ask you for an older version disk to verify that you DO have an older version of Windows and it will install like an OEM/Retail disk.

Like Suicide Al said, you do NOT need to install windows 95/98/me/2000 before installing an upgrade edition of XP. XP Upgrade is the same exact as XP Full, the only difference is that the upgrade requires a verification that you have an older version of windows. It in no way affects the installation though.

I dont want to get into a flame war, but I remember having this exact problem with an upgrade version of XP and a reformated HDD. I could be wrong, but Im pretty shure I ended up installing win98 first in order to get the XP installer to work. Who says installing Windoze isnt fun?

mayagrafix said:
I could be wrong

And you are. I have reformatted my wifes computer many times with the XP upgrade disc and all I had to do was put in an older copy of windows.

I have also installed Windows XP upgrade edition with no problems, and without having to first install an older version. In fact I have even had it install without asking for any verification of an older version.

Back