• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Deluxe SATA and IDE question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p0intman

Registered
I got my system setup with sata raid 0. When I add an ide drive for additional
storage space it knocks the onboard raid controller out of the listing for boot order devices and obviously the OS doesn't load. All that is available is the floppy, cdrom and new drive. Is this a limitation? Seems like i would have to
install the OS on the ide drive and just use the raid stripe as additional storage.

-p0int

I know this is a basic bios thing but I am going to ask any way to make sure. Under the option "boot disk priority" it will only give you the option for a floppy, one cd-rom and a HDD. If you want to switch which HDD is in that option, you need to go back one menu and go to HDD and change it to the one you want to boot from. The motherboard naturally wants to go to the standard IDE, (mine does same thing.) But if you change the priority already, then I have no idea.

Drop-Top, thanks for the lead. There was a setting in the BIOS under BOOT that was labeled Hard Disk Drives. Within there I had to specify my raid config as the 1st drive and my ide hard drive as the 2nd drive. The weird part about it was this section wasn't showing up at times. It would only show Boot Device Priority and CDROMs. I had to disconnect my cdrom drives, get this working then reconnect my cdrom drives. Well it's working now and these are my settings:

BIOS/Main/IDE configuration
Onboard IDE Operation Mode = Enhanced Mode
Enhanced Mode Support On = P-ATA + S-ATA
Configure S-ATA on Raid = yes
Serial - ATA BootRom = Enabled

BIOS/Boot/Boot Device Prioity
1st = floppy
2nd = cdrom
3rd = raid

BIOS/Boot/Hard Disk Drives
1st = raid
2nd = ide drive

Hey Drop-Top are you using Kingston HyperX PC4000 DDR500? If so what timings are you using?

Thanks again

-p0int

Back