• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can i find a CG stepping Newcastle ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Im trying to find a real newcastle cpu, newegg seems to selling half assed clawhammers labeld as newcasltes but i can tell they arent newcasltes because tey have a CO stepping.

I read all newcastles are CG, so where can i find one ?

You'd probably end up with one with a retail 3200+ from just about anywhere. 2.2GHz, 512k cache. Why may I ask do you want a Newcastle?

Because im not getting that crappy MSI K8N neo board with a mobile, because im reading way to many problems with it not with just mobiles but everything, memory and ATI 9XXX cards, now with this cheap capasiter problem MSI is getting sued for, i think i will skipp them and get the EPOX EP 8KDA3+, if get that board which is $160 i cant buy a 3200 clawhammer cuss its to much money combind with that board and the $53 waterblock i want to get.

My price range is around $420 max, the 3200 clawhammer which is $270 and the Epox board would be $430, so i wanna buya 3000+ newcaslte for $220 or so

Im not made of money i really wanted to get a 1mb cache chip but thier price is to high for specially now that the mobo i wanna get is $30 more then the other, and doesnt support mobiles like the 3000 1mb.

See i want to get a mobile 3000+ cuss thier cheap and have 1mb L2, but since epox doesnt support them i have to buy a desktop cpu and can only get a newcastle for the same price

lol candyman, is there any reason you need to go 8KDA3+???
if you're short of money, go 8KDA3J , which is same as 8KDA3+ but with less features and costs EVEN LESS THAN MSI K8N.
$99 on NEWEGG!!!!! One of them is going to be mine tomorrow.

I hope so cuss i dont want to buya clawhammer with half the cache disabled, I'll return the puppy like that cuss it isnt a real newcastle.

oc_byagi said:
lol candyman, is there any reason you need to go 8KDA3+???
if you're short of money, go 8KDA3J , which is same as 8KDA3+ but with less features and costs EVEN LESS THAN MSI K8N.

Yea cussi heard that board uses cheap parts i want to get the best i can afford

NO NONO i meant
DO YOU NEED TO GO 8KDA3+ INSTEAD OF 8KDA3J??? 8KDA3+ is $160 and 8KDA3J is $99. (same chipset, "J" as being a stripped down model)

Yea ur right, i have no use for the extra SATA/raid stuff. I use a ragualr ATA 133 drive maybe going to a SATA when i get the money.

Are thier any reviews for this board ? U sure its the same board with the mentioned parts taken off ?

Ok if i get this board i can afford the 3200 1mb l2 cpu with the waterblock it will be $421, now do they sell retail 3200+ 1mb cpu's? i Dont see any on newegg or excaliberpc

Last edited:
why 1MB cache??? get a Newcastle, it gurantees you CG stepping with higher multiplier. You won't go wrong with Newcastle. Grab retail A64 3200+ newcastle from newegg for $282. (clawhammer/1mb cache just went out of stock yesterday)
And no, I have not seen any reviews on 8KDA3J because it's pretty much the same thing with 8KDA3+ just like NF7/NF7-S.

From what I read, there is no IEEE 1394 (firewire) in EPoX 8KDA3+ (250 GB 754), to get such feature, one need to add via PCI card (not desirable at all for money and bandwidth).

This is the main reason I do not consider the EPOX 8KDA3+ since I need IEEE 1394 connection for high bandwidth video input.

Owner of 8KDA3+ please confirm.

250 GB Motherboards (754, 939)

Well i dont need firewire and im not using SATA, maybe i nthe future I'll moove to it but the "J" board has 2 SATA ports so thats good enough for me. The only reason why i got the NF7-S over the NF7 is because of Soundstorm. To bad thier isnt a good sound card on these A64 board's.

Also how are you so sure im ganan get a "Garunteed" CG stepping newcastle, looking at the OEM newcastles they are all CO, how are yo uso sure retail will be any diff. I want 1MB of cache because i want diff in performance even if it is only 2% or something thats why i got the 2500 barton last year over the 1700+ overclocking king Tbred's.

Only reason why i made the thread asking for a newcaslte was because the mobo was so much money, but now that i know thier is a Stripped down version of it for only $100 i want to get the clawhammer again, But i dont know how im ganna get a CG stepping, newegg is listing CO's and so is everywhere else. I cant find retail 3200 Clawhammers, so i guess i have to buy the $270 OEM and hope for the CG

Last edited:
hitechjb1 said:
Mobile A64 754 (DTR)
3000+: AMA3000BEX5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz, x9
3200+: AMA3200BEX5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.0 GHz, x10
3400+: AMA3400BEX5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.2 GHz, x11

Mobile A64 754 1.4V
2800+: AMN2800BIX5AR 1.4V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.6 GHz x8
3000+: AMN3000BIX5AR 1.4V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz x9
3200+: AMN3200BIX5AR 1.4V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 2.0 GHz x10

These are the exact model numbers and details for CG ClawHammer. Newegg lists all of them as available except the 3000+ DTR and the 3400+ DTR. The exact CG model numbers are listed. If not the exact model number is sent, one has the right to return it.

Here lists all the models for the current 940/754/939 with revision and other details:
940, 754, 939 CPU models and specifications

The Epox board doesnt support mobiles from what i heard so i need a desktop 3200 clawhammer, newegg is only listing CO steppings so i dunno how im ganna get a CG one.

Yes oc ur right newcastles are CG, but newegg is listing them as CO which means thier the clawhammers with disbaled cache and listed as a newcaslte thats why thier CO steppings.

Back