• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I partition my storage drive as primary or logical?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I'm partitioning an old 80gig 7200rpm drive to use as a storage drive and I'm wondering should I make the partitions logical or primary? I know one is bootable and one isn't, but what other difference is there. And does it have an impact on performance either way? Thankyou

if it's not a bootable partition, it will be a logical. This won't decrease performance any. just make sure you set the jumper to slave.

From what I remember of the old school days of FDISK, I believe that you have to have at least a primary partition on a drive. Once you have primary partition, you may also put an extended partition on the drive to contain several logical partitions.

If you're partitioning it to be one big drive, then it should be primary. If you're having multiple partitions on the drive, one needs to be primary, and the rest logical.

JigPu

Back