• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just volt modded my 9800 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

man_utd

Wow, best thing I ever did. Now at 512/402. That's up from 425/365. Also went ahead and flashed to gigacube bios. Whoever came up with the pencil tricks I <3 you.

Grrrr...just when I was all hyped up about having done the mods the real way. Great find! :thup:

The pencil method still strikes me sort of dubious and rather dangerous, not easily controllable. Doing it without a multimeter would be suicide, then again, not like it wouldn't even whilst using a potentiometer.

If you take it easy, and get use a multimeter, I don't think anything could go wrong. But personally, turning a pot feels safer to me than drawing on my card.

Your gonna need upgrading cooling bro, DO NOT do this mod w/o nice cooling and DO NOT use stock cooling! The only one I can recomend is a VGA silencer....havnt tried anything else on air.

Yeah, I was planning to put a Volcano 6 (similar to AthlonXP stock cooler, cooper base) + RAMsinks before I even overclocked without volt modding.

Yes, don't use a stock cooler. It can't even handle my card at 1.75v (against 1.703). Even a VGA Silencer's thermal resistance doesn't seem low enough to be able to handle much overvolting, but prove me wrong. ;)

Edit: A Volcano6 would be a wonderful idea.

I think the VGA silencer would be fine.....mine has two 80mm fans...so i know mine should be fine heh. But anyways, i'll try it when my computer is up and running. Maybe I can do 520 on the core

Sorry, I went AFK for while. Draw the lines on the PCB, of course you need a multimeter, and I have a lapped VGA silencer with 2x80mm fans on top of the silencer, and a 60mm fan blowing vertically across the card for the ramsinks.

I only did about 4 lines, and my voltages were about as high as I wanted, I would actually only do 1 line at a time, yes, it is a hastle to do it over and over, but I think the risk considering warrants it.

Back