• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help a n00bie on cooling and OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhcp

Registered
After alot of probs I have pratically bought all new components.

AMD Mobile XP 2500+ AQZFA 0340VPAW (sitting @ 2.2Ghz 57C)
Aero 7 CPU Cooler (currently running @ 2500 RPM)
MSI K7N2 Delta L Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ICEQ OC'd to XT
512 Crucial DDR PC3200 Ram
1 * 160 Gig HD
2 * 120 Gig HD
1 * 80 Gig HD
1 * Yamaha F1 CD Rewriter (52X)
1 * LG DVD Rewriter (8X)
500 Watt PSU.

In the BIOS I have set FSB/Mem ratio @ 1:1

What I noticed that if i did 200 * 10 the PC would not boot at all.
Going to 200 * 12 - no probs , had to set the vcore up but system did not like operating!
I knocked it down to 200 * 11.5 (2.3ghz) and with the vcore at 1.75. All running ok. The only problem I have at the moment is that the mobile XP is sitting idle @ 55 - 57C.

Even dropping it down to 200 * 11 (2.2ghz) noticed same temp also.

I think this is way to high as my old XP 2200 used to idle at 43/44C although I never tried to OC it.

I went to PC Werld and got myself the aero 7 which said it is quiet and can handle processors up to 3200 + beyond. Fair deal, paid my 30 quid, installed it and hey, the temp didn't go any lower!

I need to know a few things:-

1) What can the Mobile XP 2500+ running temp be without me being in fear that it will burn out?

2) Is there a case out there for about say 60 quid that has alot of fans in there , if needed, (I am looking for a quiet PC)?

3) If there is a cheaper alternatative is there a quiet CPU cooler out there which all you people know will coll down my processor?

4) I have put quite a bit of heatsink compound on my CPU and heatsink. Some people say that alot is good, others are saying that is where the mistake is as the heat has to dissapate through the compound before getting to the copper on the heatsink. Have I done wrong here?

Any help appreciated here.

attached is what CPUID and PCalert are showing
http://www.balvinder.bhachu.btinternet.co.uk/1.JPG

According to your screen the systemp is 46c.
So your CPU is only 10 degrees higher.

Lower your case ambient and the CPU should also drop.

The big culprit regarding your chip temp is probably the vCore.
If you could drop that down then things would be better also.

My 2600+ is running 200x11 at 1.525vCore and my current idle temp is 21c ( case is 14c).

Last edited:
Idle at 57c! :eek: What does it hit load?

You really need to lower you case temp. What is your room temp?
Try getting better circulation w/ more fans or moving some stuff.

Also make sure to have some good thermal paste like artic silver 5. :attn: It helped me alot.

Hits almost 70C and things go pear shaped!
People are now saying I have got too much paste on my cpu and cooler and that could be a cause. I have an aero 7. Even with that runing at 4000 rpm still it sits on 57C

take some paste of leaving a thin layer of paste. dont gunk it up so much like you did. your temps will drop. trust me.......thin layer.

Yep, for most AMD's, just a half of a grain of rice sized drop is enough. AS5 can help a lot. For case fan circulation, use front to back circulation to get the best temps for your case. Also, tidy up your cables using zip ties and just pull them out of the middle of the case, so that they don't disrupt the airflow. Also, cut out the fan grills on your case, front and back if you can.

you are useing as5? .

you relly do need to lower case temps. just to try open up the case and take a house fan and let it blow air in. whats the house temp?

Right, Tried the little thermal paste too. Same thing.

I just noticed something and I have taken pics of my pc now.

My Fan ontop of the heatsink is touching my PSU. It is running on max at the moment (3500 RPM) and I cannot feel any air flowing around. I am not sure which is the intake and which is the out take. You guys may laugh at this because is it my fan that is touching the PSU fan and hence why I aint getting no cooling?

PS it is a coolermaster Jet 7

http://www.balvinder.bhachu.btinternet.co.uk/2.JPG

http://www.balvinder.bhachu.btinternet.co.uk/3.JPG

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that having the rear end of the blower on the PSU would affect your temps, unless it was tilting the HS a little. That might raise your temps. That blower is an intake so you would feel air moving out of the fins on the HS, not coming out of the blower.

If that tip that's on the PSU isn't attached to anything important, you could remove it (i.e hacksaw :D ) and see if that lowers your temps. If you don't want to do anything that drastic, then I wouldn't recommend the hacksaw though.

I really dont know, knocking it to 166 * 11 still gives me same temp

Arnt u suppose to use a clean flat edge, like a credit card, to smooth the AS5 evenly across the cpu also?

coated just the cpu with a very thin layer - im beginning to think, dud cpu or i need a larger case

First off peoples definitions of a "thin layer" may be different so use these instructions to properly apply your paste (these instructions apply to pretty much any paste except for ceramique and other thick pastes) Instructions

Second, from the pictures you showed us it looks like your case is quite anti-airflow. Take the side panel off of your case and blow a floor fan at it, if this does decrease your temps look into better cable management and airflow through your case.

If this does nothing try to use a different monitoring program as those supplied may not be accurate. Motherboard monitor is the most used and trusted for accurate readings. Find it here Motherboard Monitor

Good Luck

I happen to disagree. On my ASUS P4S533 the supplied temp monitoring software reads on average about 10c higher that real temperature. However, this could be a freak case and is not present with other mobos.

Ok,

This is final result I think.

http://www.bhachu.info/pics/final.JPG

I have now got a chieftec dragon case. Installed 2 fans and 1 that came with the case.

Board temp dropped by almost 17C !!

I have attached somes pictures of what CPUID and MBM are reporting. The software that came with my mobo is actually reporting temps of +5C on MBM.

Now, running at 2.3 is this a good temp and fan rate?

When running 3Dmark03 got results of 6183 and cpu rose to max 55C. Got slightly jerky in 3Dmark03 near the end tests but nothing major.

What do you people think? Any advice? Can I knock the vcore down? whats best CPU/FSB to get 2.4?

Thanks

Back