Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

bellsouth handing out private IP addresses?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-04, 10:37 AM Thread Starter   #1
TimDgsr
Member



Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA

 
bellsouth handing out private IP addresses?


I've had two people I work with tell me that they're receiving 192.168.1.x addresses from bellsouth on their dsl connections.

I haven't had a chance to ask them in depth about which service level they pay for. But two have called asking about why their routers don't work, and have had to change the routers internal addressing scheme because the external address the router was getting was the same ip/subnet as the ones it was trying to hand off internally.

I just figured I would ask if anyone else has seen anything like this.
TimDgsr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 10:53 AM   #2
Rafjr00
Member

 
Rafjr00's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA

 
No but i am about to go back too bellsouth DSL, I have had it with cox's cable internet and this is good too know.

__________________
Heat
Fold! or have you forgotten the face of your father?
Stats
Rafjr00 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 11:23 AM   #3
Kendan
Senior Punk

 
Kendan's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dark side of hell

 
Just have them go to www.whatismyip.com There modems are probably acting as routers

__________________
Hello:sn:
Kendan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 11:29 AM   #4
Rafjr00
Member

 
Rafjr00's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA

 
Your IP is 68.11.31.67
For now anyway, by the way cable is not worth the money in new orleans. over the last few weeks mine and a friend that lives in another part of new orleans (about 8-10 mins away) modems have been lossing their connection about 75% of the time and take 30mins to 5 hours too link back up. I am going to switch back too dsl:

Up to 3Mbps downstream X 384Kbps upstream
Static IP included
10MB personal Web space

__________________
Heat
Fold! or have you forgotten the face of your father?
Stats
Rafjr00 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 11:41 AM   #5
AC Slater
Member

 
AC Slater's Avatar 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Spokane

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDgsr
I've had two people I work with tell me that they're receiving 192.168.1.x addresses from bellsouth on their dsl connections.

I haven't had a chance to ask them in depth about which service level they pay for. But two have called asking about why their routers don't work, and have had to change the routers internal addressing scheme because the external address the router was getting was the same ip/subnet as the ones it was trying to hand off internally.

I just figured I would ask if anyone else has seen anything like this.
I doubt that Bellsouth would fork out all the cash for those real ip's and then hand out private ones. I think Kendan is right on the nose with this one.
AC Slater is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 12:17 PM Thread Starter   #6
TimDgsr
Member



Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendan
Just have them go to www.whatismyip.com There modems are probably acting as routers
well the guy i work with is the one that helped them solve their problems. and he knows that the westell modems have to be set in bridged mode to work with a router. like i said, i haven't had a chance to look into it, was just curious.

Last edited by TimDgsr; 06-28-04 at 02:33 PM.
TimDgsr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 12:56 PM   #7
Rafjr00
Member

 
Rafjr00's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA

 
I did not have to set my westell modem (this was in natchitoches before i came back to new orleans) too briged mode too get it to work with my microsoft router ( it was on sale cheap hehe)

__________________
Heat
Fold! or have you forgotten the face of your father?
Stats
Rafjr00 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 01:20 PM   #8
Kendan
Senior Punk

 
Kendan's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dark side of hell

 
Well in the case that you have to switch the modem to bridged mode to get it to work with a router leads me to believe the modem is also a router

__________________
Hello:sn:
Kendan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 01:23 PM   #9
Rafjr00
Member

 
Rafjr00's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA

 
I belive it is, i had some trouble at one point and got on the phone with a tech for bellsouth and she all but siad that it is a router with a one port switch. the westell modems are great if you know how too work with them.

__________________
Heat
Fold! or have you forgotten the face of your father?
Stats
Rafjr00 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 03:02 PM Thread Starter   #10
TimDgsr
Member



Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendan
Well in the case that you have to switch the modem to bridged mode to get it to work with a router leads me to believe the modem is also a router
i know it has router functionality in the modems that are being used, but they're in bridged mode and the router is then assigned the ip address.
TimDgsr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-28-04, 11:26 PM   #11
Kendan
Senior Punk

 
Kendan's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dark side of hell

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDgsr
i know it has router functionality in the modems that are being used, but they're in bridged mode and the router is then assigned the ip address.

If they are getting local IPs then I would double check to make sure it is not being used as a router because if there ip from www.whatismyip.com is different than there local IP then they are behind a router.

__________________
Hello:sn:
Kendan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-04, 08:59 AM Thread Starter   #12
TimDgsr
Member



Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendan
If they are getting local IPs then I would double check to make sure it is not being used as a router because if there ip from www.whatismyip.com is different than there local IP then they are behind a router.
Actually, www.whatismyip.com would only prove what ip address the translation(NAT) is coming from. If Bellsouth had a device setup to do translation for 254 different customers, then each customer would have the same public ip address and get the same response from any ip query site. I realize bellsouth probably isn't doing this, but I was just curious because the person that this came from is quite knowledgeable and wouldn't be known to make this type of mistake.

So, yes I know they're behind a device providing NAT, my question was did bellsouth start doing the NAT to conserve IP addresses on customers. I would certainly hope not, but I've seen this before with apartment complexes that had a T1 and didn't want to pay for a block of IP's.
TimDgsr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-04, 10:27 AM   #13
moorcito
Member

 
moorcito's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDgsr
I've had two people I work with tell me that they're receiving 192.168.1.x addresses from bellsouth on their dsl connections.

I haven't had a chance to ask them in depth about which service level they pay for. But two have called asking about why their routers don't work, and have had to change the routers internal addressing scheme because the external address the router was getting was the same ip/subnet as the ones it was trying to hand off internally.

I just figured I would ask if anyone else has seen anything like this.
My work has a branch in KY that is using BellSouth DSL and on Friday the changed us from having a static IP at that location to DHCP, and now they are saying that we never had a static IP (good thing I have the original paperwork). The router/modem is in bridge mode because we have a VPN box that does the PPPoE authentication and routing.

It seems to me like they are making some changes to their network, and in the process are screwing people over. If there was anything else that would service that location we would definatly use it since we've had nothing but trouble with BellSouth.

TimDgsr: I'd call you friends and see what DSL plan they have because they could be in the same boat as us.

Last edited by moorcito; 06-29-04 at 11:05 AM.
moorcito is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-04, 10:59 AM   #14
Kendan
Senior Punk

 
Kendan's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dark side of hell

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDgsr
Actually, www.whatismyip.com would only prove what ip address the translation(NAT) is coming from. If Bellsouth had a device setup to do translation for 254 different customers, then each customer would have the same public ip address and get the same response from any ip query site. I realize bellsouth probably isn't doing this, but I was just curious because the person that this came from is quite knowledgeable and wouldn't be known to make this type of mistake.

So, yes I know they're behind a device providing NAT, my question was did bellsouth start doing the NAT to conserve IP addresses on customers. I would certainly hope not, but I've seen this before with apartment complexes that had a T1 and didn't want to pay for a block of IP's.

This is not an apartment complex but I understand your point. My feeling on it is that if they are doing that whioch they most likely are not all you have to do is call and complain. I still think the cable modem is what is handing out the inner IP.



Static IP and Dynamic IP are no different except for the fact that with Dynamic your IP can change. BellSouth might be pulling some funny business or just had a mix up when messing with there network. The best course of action is to work with them to get tit straightned out. If tat is not succesful then find another provider

__________________
Hello:sn:
Kendan is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?