• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobile barton... prime95 error question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I have a very good stepping (IQYHA 0352 MPMW) mobile barton 2600+. When running at 2300 MHz and 1.625v prime95 failed after 2 hours. I upped the voltage to 1.65 and prime 95 failed after 2 hours. I upped the voltage to 1.675 and prime95 failed on the very first test. What am I to make of this? After reading the experiences of many others with this stepping I thought for sure 1.65v would be good enough with 2300 MHz. Now I do have only decent cooling, not top-of-the-line cooling like many in the forums. I am using an Abit NF7-S with bios 24. When prime95 failed after 2 hours at 1.625 and 1.65v the cpu temp was in the 52 to 54C range. When it failed the very first test with 1.675v the cpu temp said 48. While I would certainly like lower temps, those temps don't sound overly hot. Again, what am I to make of this?

What mem and psu are you using it could be the max of the cpu what vdd are you @ also and what setting where you running? 11x210?

I'd say that as you up the voltage, something is getting too hot to maintain your overclock stability and then errors come up. Although the vcore isn't really that high.... what is your memory speed and voltage?

jonspd said:
What mem and psu are you using it could be the max of the cpu what vdd are you @ also and what setting where you running? 11x210?

I am running @ 200 x 11.5. I had been running a TBred B 1700+ @ 200 x 10 for over a year with no problems. I have 2x256 MB Crucial pc3200 running at stock voltage(abit board overvolts a tad) and timings of 8-3-3-3. My power supply is an Antec Smartpower 350W. I know that wattage is getting a bit outdated, but I don't have a bunch of hard drives and other stuff hogging power, just one hard drive, one cdrom, a floppy drive, a 9800 pro video card and a couple case fans. I did notice in Motherboard Monitor that while the cpu is under load the +12v line gets down to 11.67. I don't know how low is too low, however. But if the psu can't handle the load, wouldn't the system just lock up or something?

btw, my cpu cooling is an Alpha 8045 (arctic silver 2 paste) wth a 40cfm fan.

No always the case sometimes not enough juice can cause reboot's, error's, freezes, BSOD's, etc You might want to look into a more powerful psu sence you have moved up to a better cpu that will draw more power but I dont think thats you main problem reall dont knwo tho hard to say. I would say between the low rail's and high temp's you might be finding a mixed problem if you know what I mean part heat and part power.

I see a couple of things that may be your problem. Power supply and temperature.

Mine gets unstable if I hit over 55 degrees celcius. Also, you may need a good power supply also.

Well, this is certainly a disappointment. If I can't get 2300 or 2400 out of this mobile with my current system I might have to try selling it and go back to my TBred B that was running well at 2000 MHz @ 1.6v for over a year. I really don't want to spend money on another power supply and cooling. I would rather just wait until my next major upgrade maybe by 2006 when I would have to upgrade pretty much everything.

So Y not just get 2200 out of it plus the extra cache and you will be better off anyway.

Overclocking is all about components. You can ask any overclockers here and they will tell you temperature is the most critical issue they run into during overclocking. The higher the frequency you go, the more Vcore you need, the lower the temperature it is required to stay stable. But we all know that the more juice we put into our cpu, the hotter it will go. This is where those expensive cooling system comes in.

Overclocking is not cheap. A lot of money must be spend on cooling and power supply. Well, it's your choice. I learn it myself too. I started by changing the cpu because the original one i had is a pally. Then these components follows 1 at a time.

heatsink - memory - power supply - motherboard.

Kenshiro said:
Overclocking is all about components. You can ask any overclockers here and they will tell you temperature is the most critical issue they run into during overclocking. The higher the frequency you go, the more Vcore you need, the lower the temperature it is required to stay stable. But we all know that the more juice we put into our cpu, the hotter it will go. This is where those expensive cooling system comes in.

Overclocking is not cheap. A lot of money must be spend on cooling and power supply. Well, it's your choice. I learn it myself too. I started by changing the cpu because the original one i had is a pally. Then these components follows 1 at a time.

heatsink - memory - power supply - motherboard.

Yeah... I have been reading through the overclocker forums for years. I just thought that since I was not planning on pushing the mobile barton to anything close to 2.6 GHz or 1.9 vcore my older power/cooling setup would be ok. I guess I was wrong.

Well if you really wanta let it go I got a good old trusty 2100 tbred(B) here that's running 2.2 on a stock hsf and 250 psu system. LMK

I'am going to be getting a 2600M before to long anyway's.

jonspd said:
Well if you really wanta let it go I got a good old trusty 2100 tbred(B) here that's running 2.2 on a stock hsf and 250 psu system. LMK

I'am going to be getting a 2600M before to long anyway's.

So you have a 2.2 GHz TBred running stable with a stock hsf and ancient psu and I can't run at 2.3 GHz with a decent Alpha 8045 and Antec 350W psu? strange

LMAO I did crank up the rail's on that psu it had pot's inside also no case door's and it's a nf7-s sitting beside another nf7-s with a desktop barton unlocked in it @ 2.35.

Dunno I guess my will has a way of getting it where I want it to.

So I just lowered the MHz back down to 2200 and set the vcore to 1.575. Yesterday at those settings prime95 ran for over 4 hours when I manually stopped it. Today it errored after 54 minutes. The MBM cpu temp reading never got above 48C.

My Mobile 2600+ run 2200Mhz in 1.45v 5hours primed.. stop

and 2400mhz 1.55v! But my pc is bad my powersuply is 500W Generic and Mem 2 x 256 Mb Samsung PC 2700 dammm

This morning I started up my mobile barton at default 2000 MHz @ 1.45v. I started Prime95 and it errored after 14 minutes. It now seems clear that my mobile barton cpu is not the cause of my stability problem.

Maybe set you mem to cas lat 2.5 instead of 3. I remember having a problem with my nf7-s board and them using cas lat 3.

You likely have a cooling problem. I would get the same type of symptoms when my air conditioner had a semi-plugged air flow.

RJARRRPCGP said:
You likely have a cooling problem. I would get the same type of symptoms when my air conditioner had a semi-plugged air flow.

I don't see how this could be a cooling problem. At 2000 MHz the cpu temp reading maxes out at 45 C under load according to the bios and motherboard monitor.

you may need to increase your Vdimm also. I have to increase it to keep my computer stable.

Back