• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can u clean the AGP slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all!
Here's the Short Story: In attempt to see if a mobo still works, I wanna clean the AGP slot. How do I go about a thorough cleansing of the AGP slot?
Thanx.

Here's the LONG STORY:
I had a disaster with a CPU waterblock leaking onto my Radeon, and then I only noticed after i installed a replacement card, which it also leaked on, and prolly killed (albeit 4 months after it got leaked on :rolleyes: ). However, after fixing the leak I also found that my GeForce4 card experiences some display issues - such as the screen just *flashes/refreshes* like when you would change the resolution or something. The GF4 had no water damage, so I am wondering if the AGP slot has some crap from my water in it. The tubes I used got erroded by the water, so the *water* was more like a dissolved silicon solution, and I assume that it could interfere with contact points inside the slot. The leaking took place in like, February or something, and it took this long for that replacement radeon of mine to kick the bucket, so---I am at a loss as to what exactly happened, and killed what, and what can be done - I got a replacement mobo, but I hoped to use the old one (Asus A7N8X DX) as an upgrade to another system.

The best I can suggest is 99% rubbing alcohol (or 91%) and a Q-tip.

Try a compressed air duster perhaps? Failing that I would suggest perhaps flushing it out with a little alcohol.

q tip should fit in the slot..if not wrap the back of a pin with a little part of a napkin w/ the alcohol..just make sure the Qtip/napkin doesnt leave peices of itself in the slot...be carefull.

Humm...and if the thing leaves 'pieces' or particles behind, I suppose that after it dries compressed air should be able to remove it.

So I am gonna
1) spray it with air
2) wipre it with q-tip
3) let dry
4) spray again with air to remove debris
how'z that sound? :)

I had a similar thing happen to me. What I did was to use a credit card (or ID card) to push paper towel down into the slot. I used strong name brand paper towel that would not rip too easily. It worked great for me.

Back