• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything important I need to know before I format a Dell? (and other questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calculusaurus

Sometime this week, I'm going to this guy's house to fix his computer. The parents in the household have two kids, both under 13. So basically, they have this adware-infested Dell computer. It's about a year old and it came with XP (home edition, I assume). He is asking me to come over, reformat his hard drive, and reinstall his programs, drivers, and backed-up files.

When I do this on my computer, it's no sweat. I just back up my mp3s, game saves, documents, etc. I pop in my winxp pro cd and boot from it. I delete the only petition I have on my hdd, create a new one, and install xp on that. Once installed I d/l drivers, and my favorite apps. Easy enough.

My question is, is there anything different I need to do with this guy's Dell? Does the XP CD that come with Dell comps freak out when you try to reinstall it? Will I have to bring along my old copy of XP pro (with a cd key i don't use anymore)?

Any other tips or pieces of advice would be appreciated :)

Calculusaurus said:
Sometime this week, I'm going to this guy's house to fix his computer. The parents in the household have two kids, both under 13. So basically, they have this adware-infested Dell computer. It's about a year old and it came with XP (home edition, I assume). He is asking me to come over, reformat his hard drive, and reinstall his programs, drivers, and backed-up files.

When I do this on my computer, it's no sweat. I just back up my mp3s, game saves, documents, etc. I pop in my winxp pro cd and boot from it. I delete the only petition I have on my hdd, create a new one, and install xp on that. Once installed I d/l drivers, and my favorite apps. Easy enough.

My question is, is there anything different I need to do with this guy's Dell? Does the XP CD that come with Dell comps freak out when you try to reinstall it? Will I have to bring along my old copy of XP pro (with a cd key i don't use anymore)?

Any other tips or pieces of advice would be appreciated :)

Some OEM computer manufacturers (not sure about Dell specifically) supply disks which basically do the XP install. Failing that a vanilla copy of XP should work fine with the hardware.

I believe so... this guy didn't exactly say what cds he had, he's only assuming he has the correct "XP CD". I still don't know exactly what to do... :\

Well I'm going later today so I'll just improvise, I doubt I'll run into anything too difficult.

Thanks anyway David and dicecca :)

All home computers from dell come with a windows XP oem cd. You can buy servers without it. If he didnt lose it he should have it. The cd should be shinkwrapped with a green booklet the color of the xp home box.

Ebola--yup, that's exactly how his CD was: shrinkwrapped with a green booklet.

I formatted his computer and installed ad-aware, norton, and firefox, and disabled the messenger service in winxp. Everything ran smoothy... and he gave me $ to do it all for some reason o_O.

Back