• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB or 512MB question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin Cider

Registered
I wanted some opinions on what to buy 1GB of generic PC3500 to be ran with lower timings,or 512MB of high end PC3200 like OCZ or Mushkin I play games mostly and some video stuff possibly some overclocking but nothing too extreme.All opinions would be greatly appreciated,Thank you in advance

sometimes the generic stuff aint half bad..if you get lucky. what processor do you have and where you buying it from?

I have a 2500+ running at 200 X 11,with only a little room left before I hit the ceiling

Are you talking about 512MB in a 2 x 256 combo, or a single stick? And is this for AMD or an Intel platform? And define generic...I would call a no-name CHIP generic, but not call Kingston valueram with Hynix or Micron chips generic ram. I will go with the assumption that by generic ram you would be referring to something like Centon or K-Byte, purchased at Circuit City with unknown chips.

If it is for AMD, then I would go with a good 512 stick, if it is a single stick, and run in single-channel mode then coming back later and getting another 512, if needed, and since it would be used for games and video, you probably would need it, at least for the video stuff. The only caution here is to be sure to purchase a current product that will also be available when you are ready to add the second stick. You shouldn't expect a gig of "generic PC3500" to run at lower timings so you would have more of a chance of running at lower timings with good quality PC3200, which would probably also respond better to mild overclocking.

If it is an Intel rig, you need two sticks for sure and since the lower timings, although important, aren't quite as critical, you probably could get away with the gig (2 x 512) of generic ram. That said, I would probably go with 512 in a 2 x 256 setup, then come back with another 2 x 256 later and end up with a gig using 4 sticks. This is certainly a viable option with Intel.

Coming from a personal experience, I purchased some generic RAM but made sure it used half decent chips (Samsung) and I can get my FSB up to 225 memtest error free but not prime stable since my mobo is garbage. When you look at the costs, paying 20 bucks extra for name brand memory is well worth it. Not only do you get a great warranty but awesome customer service, etc. I recommend just getting some Kingston Valueram for your setup if you are tight on cash.

By the time I had typed that short story, you answered the amd vs intel question.

More questions - what kind of board and ram are you currently using to get to 200 x 11?

I am running 2x256MB OCZ PC3200 Plats right now in dual channel but I was looking at moving those into server and then like I said need diff RAM setup as OCZ 2x512 plats are about $430.00 Canadian whereas the Kingston or Samsungs go for $130.00 each and a Dual system might not like 2 singles unless there were dual config so here I'm back to my question whether 2x256MB OCZ PC3200 or 2x512 PC3500 in dual setup

Tatuya said:
Reefa, I think you got the wrong thread.

Really? Humm.

Post #1 - one gig of generic or 512 of premium ram - response #1 on my part (post #5).

Post #3 - running 200 x 11 - response and question #2 on my part (post #7).

Somebody might be on the wrong thread, but it is not me.:)

Now, you might think my comments are so way off base that they BELONG on another thread, and that may very well be true. It wouldn't be the first time I missed the mark.

Last edited:
Back