• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Portable DDR Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bounty29

Ok, me and my friends play Stepmania a lot, and i was thinking why not build a nice portable computer to go w/ the hard pad we have. so i came up w/ this...

Case/PSU - Antec ARIA Aluminum MicroATX Cube Case with 300W Power Supply, Model "LS-968(ARIA)" -RETAIL

Processor- AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 266 FSB, 256K Cache Processor - Retail

Memory - Buffalo Technology 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Video Card - POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 7000 Video Card, 32MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, PCI, Model "EVIL WIZARD(RV6P-A3)" -RETAIL

Motherboard - BIOSTAR "M7NCG 400" nForce2 IGP Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

This would just be used to hook up to a TV and play DDR like that, so its basically, just a portable, monitor-less computer made for one game, and itll be about $300. This stuff look ok? Whats everyone think?(of the computer serving it's purpose, not the game, or the people playing it)

thanks! :D

The antec Aria is anything but portable. If you want light and totable the smallest cases available are
This nice case by Silerstone
or this compact model by Ahanix (same config is also offered by a few other manufacturers)

And you could go even smaller (with a case like this one) if you simply sufficed with the onboard graphics of the Nforce2 IGP which performs on the same level as a radeon 7000 anyways. There are a handful of nforce2 IGP boards available that include TV-out.

Thanks for the suggestions, but im just curious, what's wrong with the Antec?

That Aria does look a little heavy and bulky for it's size. I agree with Captain Slug's suggestions, those are light and portable. I think that Ahanix is pretty cool for the price, I may look into that or the In Win for my HTPC. Captain Slug knows little cases, you should see some of his creations in the Alt Modding forum.

bounty29 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, but im just curious, what's wrong with the Antec?
When it comes to cubes the Aria is the bigest of the little. Cubic wise it's a rather cumbersome volume and shape and is not condusive to portability.

The cases I recommended are the smallest models available (cubic-wise) in the Micro-ATX range while still having effective cooling.

Back