• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something wrong with my NF7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

Hi,

Last nite, I was messing around with my computer trying to get higher fsb out of my amd and nf7. After few restarts and no posts, I smelled something burning! :eek:

I shut off the computer quickly, and pulled it apart to check which parts fried. After checking cpu, ps, hd, and mb, nothing looked burned. So I put them all back together and boot. It posted with 1250mhz (default speed) so I hit DEL key to try to get to the bios and change the clock setting. However, it took REALLY LONG to get into bios. After changing back to my normal speed (210x11) I saved and exited. This time it posted with the correct speed, but still takes really long to get pass the post screen. However, it would not boot into windows and just hanged. I shut down the comp and restarted, it went back to the default screen again!

Is it something wrong with my bios? If that's the problem, where can I get a replacement?

thanks guys

I'm not familiar with a problem like this, but did you pull out your cables to check the ends. I seem to remember that if you don't plug the two power cables in and only use the ATX power cable then the ATX draws too much current or something and then the plastic melts. That may or may not be your problem. I don't know...
BTW, what were your temps when the burning occured? what voltages were you using: vcore, vdd, chipset,.....?

Both power cables should be plugged in correctly since I didn't touch them when this happened. I am not sure about the temps since I was starting/shutting off comps during that time (I was playing with my multipliers and fsb to try to get max performance when this happened).

My vcore is 1.9, vdd 2.9, chipset i think is 1.7v during normal operation. When I was messing around with the performance last nite, I cranked up the vcore to 2.06 for few min, but soon reduced it to 1.95. I didn't touch the vdd nor chipset voltage.

I remember I had a spark when I tried to plug power cable back into the ps. I had to unplug the cable to sort of reset my bios since it wouldn't boot at fsb i set. Soon after the spark I smelled something burning when I boot up the comp again, and that's when all things went wrong from there.

I remember I had a spark when I tried to plug power cable back into the ps. I had to unplug the cable to sort of reset my bios since it wouldn't boot at fsb i set. Soon after the spark I smelled something burning when I boot up the comp again, and that's when all things went wrong from there.
I'd say that was your problem right there. If there was an arc, there may have been a power surge through your computer too..... I don't know, I've never heard of that happening before. I just have my computer on a surge protector, so I turn the s.p. off and then uplug the computer before I work on it and the I plug the computer in and then the s.p., so that power isn't flowing into my board until I want it to. Sorry man. That sucks. You could call the company to see if they would RMA it since it really wasn't your fault (to a certain degree). I'd call though and if they say no, just look around for a new board. That really sucks man. Sorry.

I never touched the CMOS switch, so don't think it's on reset position. But I will double check tonite. I just bought another NF7 to see if indeed it's my mb problem. I am also looking into the bios replacement from excliburpc, but I want to make sure it's my bios first before ordering it.

Now I learned my lesson to turn off ps first before unplug and plug the cable back into it.

After pulling everything one by one, I've found out that my HD & CD-ROM were fried with that spark from plugging the power cable back to the ps. Fortunately, I have a spare HD but I've lost everything from my main HD :cry:

Anyone has experiences with PCToys round cable ? I never had problems with regular IDE cables when plugging and unplugging power cable without shutting off ps first. I was just speculating maybe they are the culprit for my mess.

I ALWAYS cut off the power before unplugging those IDE cables or anything else for that matter. That may have done it.

I even blew a mobo once by unplugging the keyboard while the machine was running. I have read where others have done the same thing. USB is OK, firewire is too but those others are not unless they are hot swap stuff.

Bummer. :cry:

:D :D :D

PCGUY112887 said:
Why on earth would you get a spark when you plugged in your PSU?

I am wondering about that too. Usually I never turned off the switch on the ps before plug/unplug power cable. Now I know better. :bang head

:-/
Do you stick a table knife into the toaster to free that waffle with it still plugged up???
Which comedian is it who says "Here's your sign"!

Back