• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What causes the corruption, the carrd or the board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runner30

Hello.

The card is ATI R350, the board is Abit NF7.

When I start the PC and enter the BIOS there is a small corruption in some letters of the "font" e.g. ASCII chars- some pixels in the letters "u" "w" and few more are missing.
Also in the vivid white chars ( as in "DDR 400 " startup screen or "press DEL") -some of the pixels are light teal instead of white.

When I load windows there are transparrent stips about 1" wide over the screen, I get teal/blue lines stacking while dragging a window etc.
Also a few times the window of "windows has recovered from a serious error" pops.

I didn't do anything new to the video card or the computer.Tried loading failsafes in BIOS,tried different bios, not good.

I'm currently running with the older bro ATI rage2 PCI with no errors.

Tomorrow I'm getting the card checked, but maybe it's anything else(AGP slot)?

Thanks.

Try testing the video card in another machine. If it does the same thing, then it's probably going kaput. Let us know what happens. Also, just a hunch, but try clocking your system back to normal spec and see if that helps anything. Hope this helps.

webfreak said:
Try testing the video card in another machine. If it does the same thing, then it's probably going kaput. Let us know what happens. Also, just a hunch, but try clocking your system back to normal spec and see if that helps anything. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the super-fast response.

Unfortunatley I don't have another system nor another video card.
I just hope it's not the mobo.I don't wish to reinstall reapply and retest things over, when it's my dfinals time.

P.S. I already had "fried AGP" slot with this card, so had to replace the board.

if there are video problems when bios is displaying then it's the video card

Since you've fried the agp slot before, and from looking at your sig you're overclocking your card, reduce the overclock back to stock speeds and voltage. You might be sending it too much juice or overclocking it too high if you're getting artifacts like this.

I'm not using my sig's ocfor a long time now, using the PC for studies.

As for the video card , I'm running it at 300/275 .

Ah, ok. Well, at any rate, it probably is the video card, but it sucks to see an ATI card go out like that. My Nvidia card (Ti4400) went out too a while back. It started displaying the symptoms - artifacts, random screen blanking, etc. Anyway, have it checked in another machine to make sure before you replace it, if you can. If in fact it's the motherboard, well... at least it'd be cheaper to replace the motherboard than the video card. The video card sounds like it's the culprit here though. Sorry to hear that. :(

Oh I remember I did a BIOS flash acouple of months ago,but it was a BIOS matching my card and my memory.

The card did gain a couple % performance.And worked happly since then.

Could that be a reason? :confused:

Got it replaced by one with Samsung ram.
Stuck it into the board. beeep-bip-bip-bip.
Lol.
The technitian probably fried it when trying to assure me it works, and stick it in a 3.3V AGP slot.
Or the ATI sent me a dead card.

Funny either way.

Back