• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kornydeftones

Im looking for a website that will help me find laptop cooing solutions for my emachines m5310. The cpu gets extremely hot that the little air that blows out the back gets scorching hot. Im talking like hold your finger there for 2 seconds and it becomes too hot to handle type hot. Now I bought a Bytecc laptop cooler and yes that keeps the bottom of the case cool, but the cpu still gets hot as hell. The problem is that after only 1 or 2 minutes of something stressful like F@H or a simple game, it shuts off. I took apart the laptop and put new artic silver thermal paste on thinking it would help too but it did not. After I bought it, I found out these laptops have major problems with heat. So I guess Im looking for a replacement fan that flows more or some other method to cool the CPU only since that is my problem. Thanks!

thanks for the welcome. ive already searched the web for answers. A bunch of people have had problems with them but Ive found no fix or solution. I was hoping some other people would have answers for cooling laptops besides what i already bought.

yea, running F@H killed my sisters laptop.
i was able to cool it down for here by taking it apart and vacuming all the dust.
if u look around on ebay, they have laptop heatsinks and for cheap. pick up a heafty one with a strong fan and it should cool things down. its a hard task, but well worth it..

also try lapping the heatsink, some of the laptop heatsink lap jobs are horrible. And it may help your performance, if not measure the fan out and find a higher performing one like Korndog suggested. Also if your really going for custom, measure out the dimensions of the heatsink and if its possible, find and mod a copper one to fit (if the one in the laptop is aluminum).

this may sound like a real noob question but what is lapping the heatsink? also that fan at 28mm height is a little big i would assume. My only concern is getting the fan to blow opposite of what it normally does like out to the sides. Would I just cut the side of the fan casing and hope it throws air out that way?

ok...i get what lapping is. I'll try that. I cant get a pic of the heatsink and fan but how the fan is mounted kindof goes against how our fans for pcs work. The fan is mounted so that it looks as though the fan should be blowing up or down, not sideways out the back of the case. That is why I asked if I should cut out the side of the fan casing to make air exit out the back like it should instead of blowing around inside the case.

Back