• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD XP 3200+ with Corsair XL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMobster

I just bought an AMD XP 3200+ cpu, and am cooling it with Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler. I also have 1 gig of Corsair XMS Low Latency XL at 2-2-2 5. It says on their site it can be stable at 500 FSB. I was just wondering if anyone else OCed their 3200+, and if so how high they were able to take theirs?

try looking at the CPU database at: http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ and select veiw AMD and go down to 3200+ "barton" that should answer your question, but yours multiplyer will be locked :bang head so youll only be able to change the FSB so you wont be able to hit what some of them have hit

I just got the Corsair XMS 3200 Low Latency XL at 2-2-2 5. The Corsair website said the pair would be stable at 500Mhz... My question is if I set my FSB to 250, would it be safe for my ram and my CPU (don't know if FSB affects CPU temp), or would they over-heat? I'm using Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for my CPU, and the rest of my system is listed below...

whoa! whoa! hold up there. the ram is pc3200. that means 400MHz. now you might get lucky and be able to hit 500MHz, but there are no guaruntees. it is designed to run at 400MHz. also, don't just take into consideration whether or not it would be safe for the ram and cpu. take into consideration the fact that your chipset might not be able to handle it as well. you ask if they would overheat? its very possible you might just fry it completely if you crank up the fsb to 250 right away. upping the fsb mainly heats up the chipset, but it can also heat up the cpu also provided you dont drop the multiplier. and as mentioned earlier, your cpu's multiplier is locked, so you WILL be increasing cpu temps... its alright to OC, just take it slowly -a few MHz at a time. and watch your temps and stability as you go. in addition, you will most likely have to drop your timings in order to hit clock speeds of 250MHz, but you may get lucky. just remember to take it very slowly when you OC.

good luck.

THE RAM GUY'S TECH NOTES

Maximizing the new XL Series: The RAM Guy Practices Extreme Overclocking

My favorite feature of the new XL series is the trademarked Plug-and-Frag technology which makes these modules boot up at aggressive 2-2-2-5 latencies. And those latencies are supported at PC3200, making XL modules perfect for AMD based systems where low latency is king. If your system uses an Athlon™ 64 CPU, we’ve done the tweaking for you. Our benchmark testing indicates that Intel P4 systems deliver optimum performance at very high clock speeds. Moreover, random sample testing in our labs shows these sticks will typically run with 2.5-3-3-7 latencies at PC4000 (DDR500) speed. With that much overclocking headroom, the XL modules are also perfect for your Intel based system. So regardless which camp you’re in, AMD or Intel, these new XL modules have something to offer!

Taken straight from Corsair site Linky

Back