• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd melt at 80c ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vortexkrow said:
This true because my friend said its alright to overclock and get 60c 80c it about boiling point for amd cpus!

60C is too hot. 80C isnt the boiling point of AMD CPUs, but it will cause pretty nasty damage.

Keep it under 60c definately, and under 50C if possible.

60C is pretty high if you're overclocking, if it runs at low voltage, it less of an issue but still.
If you're upping the voltage over 1.7v I would try and keep the CPU under 50C full load.

AMD says that thermal failure starts to occur at ~85C for most Athlon XP processors, with temperature "...measured from top dead center on the CPU core." Personally, I think AMD may be understating the capabilities of its CPU to run in a hostile environment and would put actual total thermal failure around 90 to 100C (sustained), >100C (momentary), measured top dead center. However, degredation can happen at lower temperatures and this conjecture is NOT permission for you to run it any hotter than the magic numbers below. :p

Boards either read the socket temperature (measured, appropriately enough, at the CPU's interface with the motherboard) or the diode temperature (measured internally on the CPU). Most people draw the safety line (especially overclocked and overvolted) at 60C diode or LOWER, under full load. Socket temperatures can be off by as much as 10C when compared to the diode and usually indicate low.

If you're reading 80C socket, gradual thermal failure is almost certainly occuring; if it's 80C diode then you may survive at stock, but either way it's definitely too warm.

once, while i xp was booting, i got a blue screen saying that ntfs.dll or something was corrupted, so i ran recovery console and restored an original copy from the installation cd. xp was working fine again, and by fortune, i started the hardware monitoring program and found out that my cpu ran about 80°C (socket probe) !!! it was very weird because i didn't change anything! so i turned off my pc immediately when i became aware of the high temp. the cpu was overclocked to 2ghz (it was a 1700+). so i rebooted, went to bios, changed the settings to stock, and everything was fine again.

the dying point of a AMD system is around 90+C years ago when my mum brought me a new comp i didnt know anything then still dont :D lol the temp on a 850mhz athlon was 72C Idle it was a eveshams crap thing cost £2000 :mad: but keep it below 60C ALL the time :)

i remember when i was stupid and young i didnt even PUT ON A HEATSINK on my amd k62
500 mhz chip and it barely messed up.. :D cuz my graphics card would hit it (the hs) crappy comp so w/e :D

Bios24 said:
The 'best' would be water, but for air I'd reccomend the Thermalright line-up.

WRONG.

The best continuous cooling would be a cascade; the best cooling that you could buy and use 24-7 would be a direct die cooler.

I disagree with most of you about the temperatures. If you are reading from the CPU diode, the maximum recomended continuous operational temperature is 85 to 90°C. You can never be too sure with the socket temperature becuase those differ from AMD's rating. The best way to know if the CPU temperature is too high is to go by the diode. AMD uses the diode when testing their CPU's for the max temp. I recomend trying to keep it under 75°C for the diode and under 50°C for the socket. Just for the info, before I installed my dual fans my socket read in the 40's, yet the diode was at 78°C.

me said:
Here is what I did to lower my temperatures:
  • Made a duct out of poster board to bring in outside air
  • Have massive airflow inside and around the case to disperse the heat out of the area
  • Lapped the heatsink. (Sanding the bottom of it on a glass or other flat surface to 1000 grit [can be found at an auto parts store]. This made it flat and decreased temperatures
  • Did THIS: Having 1 fan on the heatsink is good, what about 2? <<<<thats a link BTW.

to ram twice the amount of air into the heatsink and lower temperatures.

Steven4563 said:
the dying point of a AMD system is around 90+C years ago when my mum brought me a new comp i didnt know anything then still dont :D lol the temp on a 850mhz athlon was 72C Idle it was a eveshams crap thing cost £2000 :mad: but keep it below 60C ALL the time :)

Hey dude, please use punctuation. It took me a while and a help of a person living in the UK to understand what you said. But I still didn't understand the point of your post...

Sorry to threadjack, but hrhrhrFOOT, I see in your signature you have pc2100 spektek too!

Mine was made by PNY. I got it to 185Mhz recently, but I think I was limited by my PCI bus, not the ram. I did crank up the Vdimm to 3.0 or so though. Cooling helps too, I put staples on mine to cool them slightly.

185??? seriously?
My k8n only goes up to 2.8, so i guess 151 is pretty good for 2.8 volts :D

I woulda liked to get it vmodded, but meh, i figure it aint worth it :p
staples as ramsinks...hmm that seems like a good idea, i'd try it if i wasn't about to go BH6/hynix valueram hunting in a little while :p

hrhrhrFOOT said:
The best continuous cooling would be a cascade; the best cooling that you could buy and use 24-7 would be a direct die cooler.

What's that, a direct die cooler?
I know cascade, proms or (as implied above) DI, but not yet direct die cooler- is this watercooling? (Then I know it)

Direct die is basically any type of phase change system that doesn't have 2 stages, IE the prometeia, the vapochill, etc.

DUAL AMD 1800MP's, running around 65 to 75C, for 2 plus years, never an issue, box runs like clockwork. Box has been running headless for year and half, and i bet if it wasnt for the fact that I have now said something about, it would of run for another 2 years without issue.

Back