• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading to athlon64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webfreak

I'm planning on upgrading to an athlon64 motherboard/proc/memory setup soon. Right now I'm running an Abit KR7A-RAID kt233a board, 1.4ghz thunderbird, and 512mb of crucial ram set at 2-5-2. What I'm planning on getting is an Asus A8V Deluxe board, an Athlon64 3200+ C0 Clawhammer DTR chip, and 1gb of OCZ EB PC-3700 ddr ram. My only concern is my current power supply. It's an Enermax EG465P-VE(FCA) psu, rated at 460watts (I think). Right now at idle, the rail voltages are reading +3.3 = 3.46V, +5 = 4.84V, +12 = 11.98V. Do those readings look good enough? I'm thinknig the +5 is a little low, so I'm not sure if it'll be adequate for an athlon64 system or not. What are your thoughts?

edit: just fyi, i'll be getting an slk-948u for cooling.
edit: i also forgot, it's kt266a, not kt233a.

Last edited:
If you can afford it get a socket 939 CPU upgrading in the future will be easier/cheaper.

Sorry I don't know much about PSUs (I'm only 13!!!), but 460W should be fine. When I build my Athlon 64 system I'm going for a Thermaltake 480W PurePower Silent PSU.

Hope that helps.

Vince1990uk said:
If you can afford it get a socket 939 CPU upgrading in the future will be easier/cheaper.
I already looked at them, and IMO, they aren't really worth it for the price.

NiTrO bOiE said:
You'll be fine. I'm running my A64 system on True 430.
Thanks, that's good to know. Now I should be able to get the dvd+/-rw drive I've been wanting instead of a new psu.

Well, I'm still not all that sure about upgrading at this point in time. I think I'm going to wait for pci express chipsets and boards to mature before I make the switch to athlon64, so maybe sometime around December. I'm not really up to speed on the pci express timeline, but we'll see. By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

webfreak said:
Well, I'm still not all that sure about upgrading at this point in time. I think I'm going to wait for pci express chipsets and boards to mature before I make the switch to athlon64, so maybe sometime around December. I'm not really up to speed on the pci express timeline, but we'll see. By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Back