• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Fsb Lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vento1

I think everyone needs to read this on overclockers.com scroll down to june21 & read about the possible locking of fsb to a 10 percent overclock, like it says if intel do it amd will probably follow at a later date.
And just for a laugh the LGA775 only twenty carefull insertions?? Won't be buying a board with that socket on.

Sorry, but these subjects have been passed over here about a week ago..use the search function, there was enough comment to get you rofl :p

Intel should just let us do what we want with the processors we pay for. They should obviously circumvent extreme, dangerous overclocking, but a 10% limit is just rediculous.

some cpu's struggle for even a 10% overclock and require a decent amount of voltage to get that. and if someone is stupid and doesn't watch their temps the processor could break. and then they may decide to rma it so...

besides, the lock is only on the chipset and that still leaves sis, via and soon nvidia (nforce 5 is for intels) so you will still be able to overclock beyond that

SeanOMatic said:
Intel should just let us do what we want with the processors we pay for. They should obviously circumvent extreme, dangerous overclocking, but a 10% limit is just rediculous.

Deep down, I acutally suspect that this is an attempt to limit two things:

1) RMA of processors run beyond or out of specifications
2) (Obvious) Someone buying a 2.6C and going to a 3.0 with it.

Captain Newbie said:
That's okay, most of us won't take your star away :p

*shrug* Just 'cause Intel does it doesn't mean that AMD is going to do it.
Actually, I think that now that Intel is doing it AMD is going to jump on the bandwagon sometime soon. Look at the clockspeeds of AMD's 64s.

3000+ = 2.0GHz
3200+ = 2.0GHz
3400+ = 2.2GHz
3500+ = 2.2GHz
FX-51 = 2.2GHz
3700+ = 2.4GHz
3800+ = 2.4GHz
FX-53 = 2.4GHz

They're clockspeeds have all of a 400 Mhz difference from the 3000+ to the FX-53. So because the clockspeeds are so close together they have to start neutering chips by making the clawhammers on 754 only work with single channel memory and giving the 939 newcastles a 512 cache. And then you have to deal with the little fact that even WITH the FSB lock people can reach 2.45 Ghz on a 3000+ with the right motherboard. (and a little luck.)

I'm thinking that AMD would have a bigger reason for a FSB lock than Intel does, I'm just surprised Intel did it first.

intel only has it on the chipset amd couldn't do it like that

I would guess that there is a big reason why intel didn't do it on chip and prevent anyone from overclocking beyond 10%. now we'll just use different chpsets than what intel makes if we want to overclock intels.

I don't believe amd will lock fsb like intel did even if they could. THey know to a certain extent that at least 5-10% of their market overclocks their chips locking the fsb might make us start buying intels... taking away 5-10% of their profit

there was already a big arse thread about this last week...look a apge back or so..it was like 4 pages long ;)

and silver you could get a 3000+ to 2.7ghz with a little luck :)

Abit found a way around it:

ABIT’s AA8-DuraMAX & AG8 have ABIT's µGuru control the Power-on-Sequence of the board and also program the ClockGen before the Power-Good Signal is issued. Unlike other 925X and 915P boards, this process is actualized through µGuru, whereas ALL other 925X and 915P boards follow Intel's standard reference design. By designing our own unique process with µGuru, the ABIT AA8-DuraMAX & AG8 do not experience the "Intel OC Lock" and are able to OC with a consistent increase of 30%-40%.

At ABIT, we built our reputation on overclocking. Now, ABIT Engineers have designed the fastest 925X and 915P boards for users who demand faster boards, higher overclocks and superior gaming performance. ABIT accomplishes the overclocking power through µGuru and then ensures the durability by following BulletProof Technology. Only ABIT uses 100% Japanese capacitors on our motherboard, which ensure better durability. Only ABIT follows the Torture Test program for total stability and ABIT Approved tests the highest number of components to ensure greatest reliability.

[threadjack]

speaking of chipsets, wouldnt it be funny if Intel made chipsets for AMD? that way, if people decide to say "screw intel and their hot processors with a 10% overclock lock, im going with AMD" well, they lost the cpu sale, but they still get the chipset sale. it would be a win/win situation for Intel :p

[/threadjack]

gustav said:
[threadjack]

speaking of chipsets, wouldnt it be funny if Intel made chipsets for AMD? that way, if people decide to say "screw intel and their hot processors with a 10% overclock lock, im going with AMD" well, they lost the cpu sale, but they still get the chipset sale. it would be a win/win situation for Intel :p

[/threadjack]

LOL

that would be cool. Wonder if they'd get the licence though :beer:

Back