• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ Barton OCing troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

U can see my rig in the sig...i can't seem to get over 200fsb stable... and i think 1.93 is way to high of voltage but its all i can get it to run @ stable. What am i doing wrong? i don't know much about RAM timings...i tried loosening the timings but it either didn't work or i did a crappy job....

Mastametz said:
U can see my rig in the sig...i can't seem to get over 200fsb stable... and i think 1.93 is way to high of voltage but its all i can get it to run @ stable. What am i doing wrong? i don't know much about RAM timings...i tried loosening the timings but it either didn't work or i did a crappy job....

Have you tried lowering the multi and increasing FSB? That way you can see if perhaps the CPU is just holding you back? If it still doesnt work with a multi of, say, 6, then you know that the FSB wont go any further.

I would say that 1.93v is a bit too high - what are your temps like?

ya see..as it says in my sig...the processor is LOCKED! ;)

and as for temps i think it gets to 130F @ hottest...sorry i forgot the conversion formula...

and its been running 3200+ @ 1.93 for several months and it runs stable as can be...but only @ that voltage..

Mastametz said:
ya see..as it says in my sig...the processor is LOCKED! ;)

and as for temps i think it gets to 130F @ hottest...sorry i forgot the conversion formula...

Ooops... sorry... didn't see your sig there :eek:

i don't have that program.
my timings are 2-3-3-6 @ default, but i just put it @ 2.5-4-4-15 to see if it OCed better...no joy...
and i usually have my ratio @ optimal or whatever but i tried it @ 6:6 and it didn't help either...

Mastametz said:
i don't have that program.
my timings are 2-3-3-6 @ default, but i just put it @ 2.5-4-4-15 to see if it OCed better...no joy...
and i usually have my ratio @ optimal or whatever but i tried it @ 6:6 and it didn't help either...

The reason I say 1:1 ratio is that the system will be more stable... in your case you would need to go into your bios and set your mems default FSB
to 166... because the default FSB of pc 3200 is 200mhz and your cpus default FSB is 166..

Mastametz said:
how would i set my RAMs default FSB to 166?
First things first go into your bios in the soft menu III and set CPU Operating Speed to 2500+

then set CPU FSB/DRAM ratio from "by spd" to 3/3, then go into advanced chipset features setup menu and try these timings:
memory timings = expert
row-active delay = 11 - 13 (try 11 first)
ras-to-cas delay = 2 or 3 (try 2 first)
row-precharge delay = 2 or 3 (try 2 first)
cas latency time = 2 or 2.5 (try 2 first)

and after you can boot into windows go back into your bios (soft menu III)
and set CPU Operating Speed = user define
once that is set then the 2 options below it will become available to change.
change CPU Ext. CLK (CPU/DRAM) to 166 and change Multiplier Factor to 12.5 this should put you close or right at the xp 2500+ operating speed. leave the multi at 12.5 and up the CPU Ext. CLK..
I'd try 170,then 175 and so on till its not stable or it wont boot into windows,
then up your cvoltage from default (1.6) to 1.65 then up the CLK speed some more and repeat.

hope this helps :cool:

umm my processor is locked. i haven't bothered to check if it's superlocked yet cuz i don't want to have to re-apply my ASV :p

Last edited:
What is the vdimm on your ram? My corsair won't go a hair over 200mhz without a bump to 2.7v and to reach 207 stable I needed 2.8v Haven't gone beyond that because I'm on air cooling and don't feel comfortable in the summer going to 1.85v on the CPU.

bumpage.....i think its the RAM that's causing the problem... i messed with the CPU/DRAM thing so i had the cpu @ default and had ram @ 442 and it was fine, and then i made it so RAM was @ like 530 or something and i couldn't get it to work no matter what. It's the aluminum heatsink ram w/the lights on it..maybe it's crap...

well i'm trying to figure out where the problem is...RAM, CPU, or M/B. I don't think RAM would have anything to do with me having to run 1.93v through the cpu to get it to run @ 3200+ would it? All my voltage rails are perfect...what's the deal... mobo bad? cpu bad? ram bad? sum1 help plz?!?!

does anyone have any idea what is causing me to have to run 1.93v through cpu to get it stable @ 3200+? It must be the cpu right? Should i get a new cpu? I'm not 'made of money', i wanna figure out where the problem is b4 i go buying replacement parts :p

Back