• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needing a guide to installing a Slot 1 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nex

Registered
I've been advised to remove the case off my P3, but I'm not sure how to install the heatsink once it's gone.
Anyone got a guide or a link to one, preferably with images, for this procedure?

Thanks for the reply.
Thing is, I know HOW to install the heatsink, just not sure how I am supposed to do it with the P3 case off.
Because the case provides the necessary 'thickness', I am unsure of how I should replace the width I'm losing.
I can't install the heatsink directly onto the P3 as its back is uneven etc, with components all over the place.
So I need to modify it to support the heatsink - how?

Some people use a plastic ink pen and cut it in sections to the right length. 1/8 inch I think but you might need to experiment with what works best.

Last edited:
Heres another suggestion, since the cut up pen idea is a great idea,The pieces must be EXACTLY the same size, or else you risk 'warping' the cpu

So here is an alternative that I have tried resulting in EXCELLENT results:

Remove the back casing and take the old trusted Dremmel and cut out a small rectangle, and then put the back casing back on, this will allow for cooling. If you want to take it up a notch, affix a small 40 mill fan using superglue to the cutout area and you will be happy with the results. This works especially well for you Alpha 3125 users.

This way you can keep the backplate and cool down the back side of the CPU.....Try it I have

Back