• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 1G ram increase FPS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cho

I'm deciding bwtween 512M or 1G ram. For normal application, 1G is not necessary for me. But I want to know how much 1G is better than 512M in gaming. (especially for future game like Doom3)

Future games will probably begin to use 1G more and more... but just now IMHO 512MB should be fine.

If you are playing Far Cry right now, then get a gig. :p but since Doom III is supposed to be out in about a month, I would say just get the 1 gig and be done with it becuase you don't know when you will get around to upgrading.

1gb will increase fps if you would normally run out of ram on 512mb, the more the better :D

OK, but what will you guys choose between this two?
512M with 6800GT, or,
1G with 6800(standard)

well what is your current video card? If you have a 9800 XT or something like that I would get the one gig now and then save the money for either the 6800 GT or X800 Pro. But if you are using a Geforce 2 or something along that line then you might want to stay with 512mbs and get a 6800 GT.

So if you can throw up the rest of your systems stats we will be much more able to help. :)

Get the 512 stick and get the best video card you can for now.
Later you can buy the other 512mbs.There is a nice difference in having 2 sticks even when your not running games.I used to run with no page file memory.

Falcon-K said:
well what is your current video card?
GF2MX. And my rig now is P3 800, 256M ram.
So... I'm a free man. None of the components (except for the DVD burner) of my current pc will be used in my new rig. I'm free to upgrade to anything I want.
Actually, I think I can afford 1G+6800GT, but just feel a little bit guilty if I spend too much for gaming. :eh?:

get a gig and like a 9800 pro, shouldnt break the bank, and you can run any game for a year or more with highest settings and af, and maybe some aa.

Do you have all of the other components already at hand? What kinda rig would you be building? But I would definately get a gig of ram, and I personally dont know the massive differences in the 6800 and GT. I think I will get the 6800 myself after a few months.... maybe A64 first... hrmm

Back