• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Longhorn 4074, useable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Longhorn: Owners Club

Hiya,

Is Longhorn 4074 actually useable as an OS?
Or does it crash constantly?

Thanks very much.

*Can you plug Longhorn into a network?*

I can access the internet via my wireless network to the router, but I cannot see other computers on the network, I have set the correct workgroup.

Is Longhorn 4074 not networkable?

Last edited:
I'm going to guess, as this hasn't been released yet...that you aren't going to get any replies as to its "functionality"

I'd also guess that, since its not fully finished, or operational...no, it won't work. You wouldn't have any drivers for any hardware...

As far as I know, Longhorn is a not-very-stable beta release which is available only to people with expensive MSDN subscriptions.

Oh...
I'm going to reinstall XP Pro anyway so I'll give it a go.
I have got one of those [/I]MSDN thingys... I think.

Cheers guys.

Longhorn 4074 is only a alpha release. The first beta release is not scheduled until next year. Longhorn at this point is very unstable. It's release currently is only meant to aid people who are actively developing for it.

I have Longhorn 4074 dual-booted on my Windows XP Pro machine. It is ok to play with but it is not ready for prime time for these reasons:
1. Some functionality is missing. For example you can set up an internet connection but local area network setup is disabled.
2. Drivers are kind of a hit and miss. Some Windows XP or 2000 drivers will work with it while others will not.
3. Sometimes installing software will appear to go OK but not function correctly

Here are the major problems I have had with it:
1. Nvidia Nforce2 onboard NIC driver loads but is nonfunctional
2. HP970 printer driver loads but is nonfunctional
3. HP5370 scanner drivers loaded but borked system. It will now only boot to safe mode. A complete reinstallation of Longhorn will be required to get it working again.

There are other ways to legally get Longhorn. For example, It is available through the ProNetworks Forum if you abide by their rules for obtaining it. They are so strict about this that you might get banned if you ask for it the wrong way.

I've installed my network drivers, installed my printer, installed nforce drivers, so far!
Pretty confusing to use though.

I've found just browsing the web and receiving email to be ok. It does not like my Norton internet security. For some reason it will not allow me to create new folders. Folders are created by default when installing drivers, programs, etc. It regonizes all hardward that is needed for simple computing, ATI 9700 Non PRO, Realtek onboard NIC, keyboard and mouse, naturally. I do need to manually install onboard sound AC97. It works ok with simple torrents...allowing the changing of port ranges and so on. It still has a long way to go before final release in late 2005/early 2006.

Okay.

I believe MS are on about 4080 now but nothing has been leaked...

So Hopefully soon we shall have a working beta.

Quattro said:
Oh...
I'm going to reinstall XP Pro anyway so I'll give it a go.
I have got one of those [/I]MSDN thingys... I think.

Cheers guys.

i think you would know if you had an MSDN subsciprtion or not cause you would be out a few grand $$$ a month.

Back