• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

difference in oc'ing between p4c800/p4c800e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
flapper,

What are you doing over here. You're not going to replace your Abit, after all that work you did to it are you? I remember reading a thread where one of the guys, Clevor, I think (it might have been someone else, though) was talking up the Asus. And here you are. Actually, I'm here for almost the same reason, but it's for my young nephew who needed a board, and remembering that "talk-up" I just referenced, I recommended that he go Asus. His P4P800-E Deluxe just got shipped to my office today, so here I am trying to do a little bit of leg work for him. He is young and needs direction. What is an uncle to do? Based on what I have read about these board, the two versions you are asking about are very similar in their OC'ing, but with just enough enhancements to the newer board to make it the better choice. Mind you, this information comes strictly from reviews and the likes, no first hand.

See ya later, back at the RAM Farm.

Flapper, I have both and there are some differences. The vcore settings on the "E" are broken from 1.625v on up, but not on the non "E". I'm far from the only person to have experienced this; others here have posted similar findings and there was a huge thread about it on Anandtech forums (sorry no link). Asus made some changes to some mosfets and caps for the "E", and maybe this has something to do with this problem. My "E" also droops considerably more than my non "E". The difference between Intel LAN and 3Com is unnoticeable.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=299460
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=293973

I just got a new P4C800 non-E and it seems they have improved the droop problem since I don't get nearly as much Vcore fluctuations as my other P4C800 and P4C800-E mobos. Also, I can hit 300FSB no prob prime stable @ 1.55 Vcore with a new SL6Z3 that I picked up. (Mach 1)

Back