• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look at this 6800 Ultra!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow, that is very long. just at a glance, that would easily hit the HD bays in my case. what kind of case would that fit in?

The combination of a GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL with a dual processor Power Mac G5 driving two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays is the definitive tool for the creative professional.

No. an NVIDIA Quatro would be the definitive tool for the creative professional :D - not a top end "GAMERS" card..lol

Im suprised nVidia would waste Ultra cores on Mac users. They still think Ati Rage or GeForceMX cards are state-of-the-art as spelled out by Steve J..... :rolleyes:

I read that somewhere, too. I believe this card is required for the new Apple 30" display. That would account for the extra long hardware--designed with some extra proprietary stuff added on.

"Im suprised nVidia would waste Ultra cores on Mac users. They still think Ati Rage or GeForceMX cards are state-of-the-art as spelled out by Steve J..... "

Actually Apple makes the card Mac 6800 :p. NVidia was at MacWorld three years ago (I think) demoing the GeForce 3 & some hardware hacking friends of mine asked them if they had any other companies signing up for Mac cards & they said they didn't but they have no problem with you taking PC cards & flashing them to the Mac if you have the Mac ROM. For NVidia a sale is a sale since they don't make the cards themselves ;-) ATI gets really p*ssy about it since they're one of two companies making Mac ATI cards. The other company is little known & exspencive (they make special dual core rendering cards based of of R100s).

yes, that card is needed to power the $3300 30" display.

http://www.apple.com/displays/digital.html

Special note on the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra: due to size of this advanced graphics card, the adjacent PCI or PCI-X slot will be blocked and cannot be used. This reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two.

To what I've read it does need the 6800. You have to have some heavy pockets to afford one of those and 2 Apple 30 Inch Displays. If your going to go that route let us all know before hand so you can donate to the poor and I'd also recommend getting your head checked :p

Yeah you need the 6800 for the 30" display. Its for the obvserdly rich, video people that work in HD & want to view a bunch a clips at one time, & graphics profesionals that want to look at ~4 pages ;-). Better yet, why not get two of them since you can connect one to each of the 6800's two dual link DVI. I saw a screenshot of someone's desktop that had done that. Its crazy how much room there is.

twEEkerAreUs said:
To what I've read it does need the 6800. You have to have some heavy pockets to afford one of those and 2 Apple 30 Inch Displays. If your going to go that route let us all know before hand so you can donate to the poor and I'd also recommend getting your head checked :p

Not just heavy pockets, an overdose of stupidity as well - which is clearly demonstrated by their possession of a mac, I've had first hand experience of the dual G5...I lolled.

Back