• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bang for buck AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shtweazel

Registered
What is the most overclockable AMD chip for the $$$? I have a Duron 800 running at 1015, would It be worth my time and $$$ to upgrade to say, a Athlon 1.33??

If you can find a 1 GHz AHYJAR chip I think it's the most BFTB chip out there right now. Peeps have been getting 1.5-1.7 GHz consistently out of these with good cooling. Best of all the chip will cost you like $75. Thats 5 cents a MHz if you make it to 1.5.

A 1 GHz AXIA Y is also a good bet but as cheap as the 1.4's are.....

SickBoy

[oc]SickBoy said:
If you can find a 1 GHz AHYJAR chip I think it's the most BFTB chip out there right now. Peeps have been getting 1.5-1.7 GHz consistently out of these with good cooling. Best of all the chip will cost you like $75. Thats 5 cents a MHz if you make it to 1.5.

A 1 GHz AXIA Y is also a good bet but as cheap as the 1.4's are.....

SickBoy

How do I know what kind of chip I'm getting? Where can I find these chips (where do you get yours)? All the sites I go to don't tell you that stuff (or I'm not looking for it in the right place).

The code on the second line of the core (as well as the first character in the third line).

You'd have to call these places and ask, if they wont tell you or won't look, you'll have to go find one locally somewhere or at a computer show.

The stepping code really does make a difference, or at least it makes it a lot easier to find a good chip.

SickBoy

I've bought my better CPU's at the local show, there they show you a tray of processors and you pick the one that strikes your fancy. Most retail stores will let you do the same, or take your money elsewhere.

1G T-BIRD is hard to beat with their price approaching the $75.00 mark.

Good Luck!

Here's and explaination of the core markings of an AMD CPU;

frank awsome idea...i saw it last time u posted it up...and i went out and got a 1ghz 266 tibrd...as everbody knows for example i use AXIA since thats what i have there decent overclockers up to 1400-1450mhz AVG!....now the steeping i think its called is a # (9) or a letter (Y) i called the store that had the best price of 142.00CDN they told me they had AXIA but they wouldnt tell me if it was Y or a number they said i had to come in becuase they said i had no clue what i was talking about......LOL some retailers dont know about the steeping Y gets avg 50mhz mroe overclock...and if i guess they did they might try to charge a preminum for it.....i know the 200 version was 15$ more becuase they said supply and demand and they dident have too many in stock....they could easly do that with the Y version of AXIA 1ghz tbirds..... hope soemthing huge parapagrah helped since it took me like 10min to type up LOL:cool: :cool: :cool:

Back