• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do prescotts have 64-bit compatibility???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now correct me if i'm wrong, but...

The P4 533MHz bus processors all had the Hyperthreading circuitry onboard but it was not enabled until the 3.06GHz version. I beleive that Prescotts are also in a similar situation, where the 64bit circuitry is on the chip but will only be enabled at a certain chip which is yet to be released. So far, no Prescott chips have 64bit enabled, nor will the current Prescotts have a way of activating this onboard circuitry.

Until Intel starts plastering '64bit' all over everything, the current Prescotts do not support 64bit.

I may be way off here, please somebody confirm this. :)

Polariz^ said:
Now correct me if i'm wrong, but...

The P4 533MHz bus processors all had the Hyperthreading circuitry onboard but it was not enabled until the 3.06GHz version. I beleive that Prescotts are also in a similar situation, where the 64bit circuitry is on the chip but will only be enabled at a certain chip which is yet to be released. So far, no Prescott chips have 64bit enabled, nor will the current Prescotts have a way of activating this onboard circuitry.

Until Intel starts plastering '64bit' all over everything, the current Prescotts do not support 64bit.

I may be way off here, please somebody confirm this. :)

i thought that this was the server processor... no plans for this on the desktop as of yet

pfft if they where 64bit you dont think intel would go parading around boasting the fact that the pressy was 64bit? c'mon now use your head.

I can see why ssgohan434 would be confused by this as i've had a difficult time finding the evidence to suggest that 64-bit is currently disabled in Prescotts in a similar manner to how HT was disabled in P4's 'B' chips prior to the 3.06GHz edition. It is true Drec, that Intel would have gone around and boasted all about it if 64bit was enabled on the current Prescotts.

However the reason for the mixed messages is because of the rumour of built in circuitry on the Prescott chips. This message is repeated in the links in my previous posts, and in more detail, in the link below:

http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_04_20_Looking_at_Intels_Prescott_part2.html

what good are the extra 32bits if their disabled, thats like me saying my microwave is a nuclear reactor...iits just disabled :p

Well yeah hehe, but the reason i'm posting this evidence is because it's the reason for the mixed messages that ssgohan434 has received. Unless of course some berk told him that 64bit was enabled on Prescotts at this point - thus that person should be subsequently shot at dawn.

Whether there is 64bit in there or not, its not enabled. So your answer is NO.

ssgohan434 said:
thanks for all the replys. Im not sure if i want to go the Prescott route anymore. Anyone wanna try and convince me why i should go the Prescott route and not the AMD 64 socket 754 route?

free heater :D

They won't enable it because they don't need to at this time. AMD is no danger right now, only when 64-bit really starts becoming a threat to Intel, they will enable it on prescot (and if they're smart, also on the prescot celerons). That will offer a very cheap counterproduct to sempr0n, which don't have 64 bit.

What will Joe Sixpack think:

''Hmz, i have a 100$ CPU here, 2800+. Hmz, but there is a 150$ CPU, but wait, that one has 64-bit on the box, and its 3 Ghz...wow that sounds alot faster''

Not to mention that these new Celerons will be alot faster compared to their older NW brothers, they give the lower-rated AXP's a good beating.

Remember: it's not about who is right, but about who gets his right.

Not about being the fastest for the least money, but about being bought the most. The difference is marketing.

apparently the regular and celeron presscots are getting 64 for NO EXTRA CHARGE annnnd the celeron will go from having 128k cache to 256. i got this info from the front page here.

of course, that does you no good TODAY. nice to know its coming tho..

hUMANbEATbOX said:
apparently the regular and celeron presscots are getting 64 for NO EXTRA CHARGE annnnd the celeron will go from having 128k cache to 256. i got this info from the front page here.

Really? The King of Price Gouging isn't going to charge more because 64 > 32?
:rolleyes: An interface and chipset change will still be necessary.

Celerons are going from 128K cache to 256K (Prescott-256 core, with all problems and benefits therein) and will be known as the Celeron-D.

Captain Newbie said:
Really? The King of Price Gouging isn't going to charge more because 64 > 32?
:rolleyes: An interface and chipset change will still be necessary.

not sure about the chipset, but i'm sure you are correct.

i don't understand your theory on price gouging tho. we got dual channel for free, we got a 800mhz fsb for free, we got HT for free, we got 1mb cache on pressies for free...

Back