• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0E D0 won't run at 200FSB with everything set to auto in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I've had my 3.0E D0 running rock solid at 250FSB for a few weeks now and I started having bad fluctuations on my voltage rails. My 12v rail is running around 13.4v and my 5v rail is running around 6.2v. I had my vcore set at 1.537 and it was completely stable up to this point. Today it started restarting itself and wouldn't stay in windows for more than 5 minutes. I lowered it to 200FSB@auto vcore and reset all other settings on the mainboard and it won't load into windows before rebooting. Any ideas?

Maybe the lower OC is causing your spiking voltages to spike even more (less load with less OC could mean MORE voltage in a bad PSU). Just a shot in the dark.

If your PS is freaking that bad, I'd say junk it, or chance frying EVERYTHING! HD's, Video, MoBo, Proc. It is a expensive gamble at best at this point.

Yeah I think I'll RMA it since I only got it from newegg about 2 weeks ago. It's worked fine for 2 weeks and all of a sudden this crap. I have no clue what happened.

Okay so I've replaced the PSU and my voltage rails are back to normal. It still hangs in windows after 2 minutes at all auto settings at 200fsb. What the hell is going on. I've even bumped the vcore to 1.4 which is higher than it's recommended voltage. This has me baffled. How could this be possible? In fact it only seems to like the 235-250 clock range...... :bang head

try at 201FSB. I hear the asus runs aggressive timings if you set to 200. I am not an ASUS expert but I guess it is worth a try

My ram is supposed to run 2-2-2-5 at stock speeds, so that shouldn't make a difference. This has me baffled. I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. Maybe my chip is getting ready to go out..../shrug...

When my mobo went bad, it did the same thing... started rebooting after a couple of minutes in Windows... even at default speeds.

I've replaced this mobo twice already from Newegg....I don't think it's the mobo because it runs perfectly fine at 250fsb for some reason. It just won't run at stock. I think Newegg is gonna start thinking somethings up if I keep RMAing it....even thought it is for legit reasons :-/

Tried Memtest86, or other troubleshooting programs yet? Maybe the overvolt situation freaked out your RAM or chip? :cool:

This is just great. Now my other PSU is starting to surge just like the Fortron did on the 5v line at first. My vcore even jumped to 2.1v for a split second. My 5v line jumped to 6.8v twice for a split second within a 30 minute time period. How could my mobo be upping the voltage being drawn from the PSU? Could there be something else that I'm not thinking of?

Loss of resistance/impedance on the mobo somewhere in between the power connect and the system monitor chip. If this PSU is doing the exact same thing as the old one, then the PSU is most likely no the culprit, rather an on-board electronic component such as a resistor lost it's capacity to impede voltage effectively.

Yep, sound just like a mobo gone wrong, its voltage regulators have gone pop! :)

I have found that on my 3.0c, when booting @ 4ghz it lasts longest at about 1.6v -- anything higher or lower and it doesnt like it. Maybe the board is supplying a different voltage, and the CPU only wants to sit there @ a certain OC. I would have thought 200fsb would be fine on any voltage higher than stock, but you never know...

~t0m

im betting bad voltage regulation is killing the mobo,and possibly taking the psu with it.

it doesnt take long to kill these with the amperage the prescotts draw.
did you sink the mobo up?

the asus uses smaller mosfets which may not be able to handle all this as well as the ic7 series.

isnt many people in the world ocing prescotts atm,this is why.

Well right now I'm still using the Antec and the rails are right were they should be so it's not an all the time thing. It just spiked twice so far for a split second each time. Yeah it's probably the mobo. I'm sure my name will be blacklisted by newegg if I keep this up. Kinda sucks that a mobo designed for the Prescott chip can hardly handle it at high clock speeds. I guess Northwoods and Prescotts are apples and oranges. So do you guys think it's ruining the PSU's? How could a motherboard ruin a psu? drawing too much? I was getting the 13.4v on the 12rail with a dmm, so it wasn't going to the mobo first, it was coming straight out of the psu.

OT: Did you get your DO yet Death? I really don't think these D0's hold any improvements over the C0's from my experience and from what I've heard. They run just as hot, they are just as power hungry, and apparently my Pressy is slowly killing my mobo. I'm not even sure if a prommie would help my main problem, which seems to be the chip hurting the mobo. I think I might just go back to a Northwood, even though I got benchmark scores like never before on this chip. Docliv is the only single cpu p4 that outscoured me on pcmark04's ORB at any speed. I think I'm like number 8 out of all the chips with this setup :) At least I was last time I checked. Grr! I wish I could figure out another way.

Anyone know what the voltage would have to be on the 5v and 12v rail to cause permanent damage to my hard drives, vid card, cdroms, etc? Everything seems to be in good order now that I've switched PSU's. Well except for the fact that it won't run at 200fsb at stock.

Back