• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I think it's a waste to spend over twice as much on RAM for no real world performance gains with tight timings.

If you game 1gb is something you will notice, regardless if it's cas 2 or 3. You could sell your 2x256 mushkin and pickup some cheap 2x512 PC3200 that will run 200 FSB and Cas 2.5 and if you game or use memory intensive apps you'll notice a difference.

But with regards to your question about going with such high end RAM for tight timings and then having it be single channel...well it will be 1gb but in terms of benchmarking (the only time you'll notice) then no it's not worth it, but in gaming going to 1gb is very nice

Yeah this computer is all gaming and all the parts will be used for gaming. But my question is, will the mushkin in dual channel work well with the corsair in single channel?

SilverJag said:
Yeah this computer is all gaming and all the parts will be used for gaming. But my question is, will the mushkin in dual channel work well with the corsair in single channel?

Dual channel and Single channel do not exist at the same time, one or the other.

Using 3 dimms alone would be Single channel.

Well, the perfromance gain of dual over single is roughly about 3 or 4 FPS, am i right? So if i put the 3rd dimm the two identical modules will not be recognized as dual anymore?

I'm pretty sure that if you have the 2x256mb in the 2 blue colored slots in ur mobo, and then the 512 in the black slot, you will have the 2x256 still running in dual-channel, but the 512 will be in single channel. You will lose overclockability by doing this instead of 2x512. And I agree with ajrettke, you don't need that LL stuff anyway for gaming, it's just CH-5 anyway. Look into OCZ and some of the ValueRAM corsair has.

Well i already have the mushkin in dual overclocked at 2-2-2-11. if i put the 512 stick in, will the overclock on the mushkin be lost? i want to over clock my 512 stick to 2-2-2-11 so all 3 modules have the same timings.

SilverJag said:
Well, the perfromance gain of dual over single is roughly about 3 or 4 FPS, am i right? So if i put the 3rd dimm the two identical modules will not be recognized as dual anymore?

Correct.

I've read that Dual channel is only 10% gain on an AMD system but supposely it's twice as fast because it does 2 memory fuctions at once oppose to 1 at time, running single is less efficient. I don't think it's worth running in Single channel to gain 20 FSB in a real world environment..

SilverJag said:
Well i already have the mushkin in dual overclocked at 2-2-2-11. if i put the 512 stick in, will the overclock on the mushkin be lost? i want to over clock my 512 stick to 2-2-2-11 so all 3 modules have the same timings.

It will run in Single channel with 3 dimms used and ya the OC will reduce due to the amount of dimm use. It's best to keep it at 2.

BTW, the timming will be the same as the others.

NoteUser said:
It will run in Single channel with 3 dimms used and ya the OC will reduce due to the amount of dimm use. It's best to keep it at 2.

BTW, the timming will be the same as the others.

See, I don't see what the priority is.. overclockability or performance. Games coming out now are frankly going to need that gig.
I doubt many 512's will be able to do 222 timings. OCZ eb's are cas2.5 but i think at lower fsb they can do cas2. But at best 2-3-2 i think.

Yeah i realize that new games need that gig. which is why i want to buy an extra 512 with my already 256*2 in dual. I will probably buy the corsair 2-3-2 and under clock to 2-2-2 like my mushkin ram. but what i'm asking is will there be a bottleneck created from my single 512 module. my 256*2 are running at 2-2-2-11 pc4200 and im wondering if the corsair will also run at those timings.

SilverJag said:
my 256*2 are running at 2-2-2-11 pc4200 and im wondering if the corsair will also run at those timings.

pc4200??!! i assume u mean pc3200...
the 512 will limit the performance of the ram, but at DDR400 i doubt it'll be by much, if at all. Depends on the ram. I don't think you'll be able to pull 2-2-2 timings out of the 3200LL's though IMHO. I'm curious myself what timings the ocz eb's do at that fsb.
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of dual vs. single channel though so don't make any decisions based on what I say.. :beer:

EDIT: XL's do 2-2-2 but a much heftier price tag

The system would be less effecient running 3 dimm slots oppose to 2 running Dual.

Why not get a pair of 512X2.

As for the timming roll+call 1:1 with the slightly looser timming at high FSB is worth it, say DDR500 CAS2.5-2-2-5 which the EB3700 can do with the aid of 2.9Volts. The 3500 should perform well.

BTW,those times ran neck and neck with BH-5!.

Does anyone know if OCZ EB series have the same chips in all their modules. So like a OCZ PC3200EB would be the same overclockability as PC3500EB?

All of the EB use the same IC and it's obvious the faster module makes it easier to OC the cpu therefore the result would be more stable.

I cant buy 512*2 b/c i already own 256*2 so thats why im planning to buy an extra 512 to get the gig.

How would you rate the Enhanced Latencey Series vs. Enhanced Bandwidth, same overclockability?

Most say EB is better but using my own limited logic, if you own an AMD system, low latency will help u better.

EDIT

In memory, the higer the voltage the better or the lower the better?

SilverJag said:
In memory, the higer the voltage the better or the lower the better?

The higher the better generally. Some ram will top out at certain fsb or timings no matter how much voltage you pump through it.

Back