• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDTV capture card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b0bby

well i was gonna post in the other capture card thread but didn't want to be off topic so i made this one. im looking for a good capture card for over the air high definition broadcasts like your primetime shows and sporting events etc. not looking to make a htpc just need a pvr since i don't have a tivo unit anymore. i read about the ATI HDTV Wonder awhile back and im assuming rls date is around the corner. also read about FusionHDTV. price is not an issue. not really sure what setup i should be looking for so any help is welcomed. any recommendations/suggestions/links will also be helpful.

-b0bby

Right now, the FusionHDTV seems to be the card to get in terms of price/performance. Once the HDTV Wonder becomes readily available, things might change.

Nero said:
Right now, the FusionHDTV seems to be the card to get in terms of price/performance. Once the HDTV Wonder becomes readily available, things might change.

do you have or have used this card before? if so did it need any additional hardware and how was the software. thanks

-b0bby

I prefer my TiVo over any PC based PVR. Sure it might be slow at times, but integrated guide info, wish lists, season passes, HDTV capable, Don't miss shows because you need to reboot your PC, etc.

Why did you get rid of YOUR TiVo? :cool:

HDVR2 144Hour Hughes DSS TiVo w/2 Tuners (Thanks to Hinsdale's for the Linux tips)

Randyman... said:
I prefer my TiVo over any PC based PVR. Sure it might be slow at times, but integrated guide info, wish lists, season passes, HDTV capable, Don't miss shows because you need to reboot your PC, etc.

Why did you get rid of YOUR TiVo? :cool:

HDVR2 144Hour Hughes DSS TiVo w/2 Tuners (Thanks to Hinsdale's for the Linux tips)

i didn't get rid of it i just gave it to my mom cause she needs it more than me right now. she moved in with my sister to help take care of a newborn and doesn't have time like she used to so the tivo is good for her. im looking for a substitute with a HDTV cap card but havent heard of many. the options are very little im assuming cause i've only heard of a handful of models atm.

lejend said:
ATI just released an HDTV Wonder.

Firingsquad has a review of it and they gave it pretty high marks. I don't know where you can find one tho...

i had no idea it was out already. i knew reviews were out but the actual card is available from vendors? please link if you find it. thanks

b0bby said:
do you have or have used this card before? if so did it need any additional hardware and how was the software. thanks

-b0bby

No I haven't, but I was going to buy one and did a lot of research on it. It comes with all the software you need, and all you'll need is a UHF antenna to pick up OTA signals. It, like the HDTV Wonder, all doubles as a SDTV tuner. AFAIK, the HDTV Wonder still hasn't hit retail channels yet, leaving you with few choices.

Nero said:
No I haven't, but I was going to buy one and did a lot of research on it. It comes with all the software you need, and all you'll need is a UHF antenna to pick up OTA signals. It, like the HDTV Wonder, all doubles as a SDTV tuner. AFAIK, the HDTV Wonder still hasn't hit retail channels yet, leaving you with few choices.

yeh thats true, its the main reason why i wanted an HDTV tuner cause i knew it doubles as a SDTV tuner. i haven't seen the ATI card anywhere either so i don't think its coming out til later this summer. im in no hurry as there is nothing on primetime this time but will need something before the fall season starts. where did you do your research? any links? thanks

Mr.Guvernment said:
can the ATi HDTV accept Direct TV satelite? :D

i believe so. instead of running the coax from the reciever to your tv, run it to the card. or get a splitter so you can run it from the reciever to both tv and card. should work the same cause i did the same thing with digicable when i had a winfast cap card.

b0bby said:
i believe so. instead of running the coax from the reciever to your tv, run it to the card. or get a splitter so you can run it from the reciever to both tv and card. should work the same cause i did the same thing with digicable when i had a winfast cap card.

I think it would work if you used the coax straight from the dish to the card. But don't the satalite's need sepereted attachments to the dish for each tv you want to hook it up to? I just don't think a spliter would work, or if it did, you could only watch the same channel on each tv at the same time.

Lejend said:
I think it would work if you used the coax straight from the dish to the card. But don't the satalite's need sepereted attachments to the dish for each tv you want to hook it up to? I just don't think a spliter would work, or if it did, you could only watch the same channel on each tv at the same time.

yeh its just like i said, it goes from the receiver. satellite goes from dish > coax > receiver > coax > tv. using the cap card you'd go dish > coax > receiver > coax > cap card. my comment about the splitter could be wrong or right, not sure, but its just simply for that last coax to go to both the cap card and tv so you can watch it on your main tv while capture. someone correct me if im wrong.

You need a "Switch" if it WAS DSS compatible.

From what I read HERE: http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/ , this will work for OTA HD ONLY - not regular DSS or DTV HDTV (at least it did not mention SD DSS or DSS HDTV anywhere). It supports 1 off air HDTV antenna, and a NTSC off air OR cable feed - Mentioned NOTHING about satellite compatibility...

Just so you know...

Looks like someone beat me to it ;)

k yeah cause direct TV is DSS i beleive - darn - time to go buy a DDS tuner card :(- any suggestions? :D

Randyman... said:
You need a "Switch" if it WAS DSS compatible.

From what I read HERE: http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/ , this will work for OTA HD ONLY - not regular DSS or DTV HDTV (at least it did not mention SD DSS or DSS HDTV anywhere). It supports 1 off air HDTV antenna, and a NTSC off air OR cable feed - Mentioned NOTHING about satellite compatibility...

Just so you know...

Looks like someone beat me to it ;)

your're right its a switch. i thought splitter sounded weird. as for the ati card, do the other cards work the same way or do they support satellite?

I personally have no clue. Just READ the specs, and see what kind of connections and formats it is capable of receiving/decoding.

I thought Hughes DID have a HDTV TiVo? HDRV3 - I believe? Check it out...

:cool:

Randyman... said:
I personally have no clue. Just READ the specs, and see what kind of connections and formats it is capable of receiving/decoding.

I thought Hughes DID have a HDTV TiVo? HDRV3 - I believe? Check it out...

:cool:

too bad i don't have the tivo unit with me anymore or plan to get a new one.

I'm a TiVo fanboy! What can I say? After paying $100 for my TiVo (HD model is more I'm sure) with 2 tuners AND free installation (THey will even INCLUDE a switch if you don't already have one!), it REALLY makes spending around $100 or more on JUST a capture card seem like a waste IMO. The 144Hour mod was easy, and I have a dedicated hardware PVR that never misses a beat, AND can record 2 different shows while watching a 3rd! No extra boxes or "IR Repeaters" needed, as the TiVo HAS the tuners built in!

It's YOUR PC, and your system resources and HD space. Dedicate this to another machine, or share duties... Your call... I can still do intense apps WHILE watching TiVo!

Just trying to remind you how cool TiVo's are and the advantages of dedicated devices for this duty (IMO)... Big time Fan boy here! :)

Later :cool:

I say get another Tivo. There only $80 at Bestbuy and I heard $50 at Circuit City but cant confirm (maybe after price match?). I loved mine so much I went out and bought another. And they are pretty easy to upgrade as Randy was hinting at.

Back